What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown Rice

T

tinker

I've always wanted to try out brown rice but I've no idea if cooking it is the same as for white rice. Can I cook it in a rice cooker? Or do I have to boil it or what?

I think brown rice is the same product as white rice, but still has it's outer husk. So it's high in fiber. It takes quite a bit longer to cook then white rice. White rice cooks in about 20 minutes, and brown rice takes 45 minutes or so.

Brown rice is much better for you. If you had the time, it's worth the wait.

We have used our rice steamer for brown rice. There's no need to boil it, but as Greg pointed out, it does take longer to cook. But it still tastes just as good. : )

It takes about twice as long to cook but is a great way to add fiber to your diet. The little extra time may get added to your life because of the fiber in the brown rice. And it's a complex carb, so it's not going to add fat to your waist or tush. Unless that's all you eat ;)

When I can find it, I buy organic brown basmati rice. Basmati rice is the best rice I've ate. There's just something about it that appeals to me. The brown Basmati rice is great too.

Basmati rice appeals to my family because the individual grains of rice do not stick together like white rice does. We discovered basmati rice when our beagle was very sick and we took her to a holistic vet. The holistic vet gave us a recipe for making homemade dog food which included cooked basmati rice. Our beagle has since passed away, but we still cook basmati rice for our current dogs food and they really like it.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I haven't tried the Basmati variety yet. I like my rice sticky, not fluffy as most Americans prefer. I owe it to my Asian roots, perhaps. :)

I love Basmati rice, such a nice nutty flavor.

Years ago, I started eating brown rice instead of white because I was trying the South Beach Diet, and nowadays that's really all I use. It's nice to get used to something that's good for you, to the point that it's the normal thing you buy an eat.

It took a bit of time for the hubby to get used to it, but I think he likes it fine now. We don't eat a ton of rice, but I do use brown rice whenever a recipe calls for rice. Most of the time, it's fine. Obviously in something like risotto, that's not possible, but the majority of recipes are fine with it.

brown rice

You know we eat white Basmati rice at my home also. It taste so good, that is all we eat now. We used to eat white short grain rice. Now, I didnt know there was such a thing as brown Basmati rice. I will have to hunt and find that in my town. I have tried a couple of different short grain brown rice, but it wasnt too pleasing to me. What are the best kinds of brown rice brands to cook.

I love basmati rice, and we use brown rice in our home often too. We make it in the microwave in our rice cooker just like we do white rice. I just keep it in there, stirring every 5-10 minutes, until it's done.

One way i like to use brown rice is in making rice pudding, makes it a bit healthier ;).

tinker said:
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I haven't tried the Basmati variety yet. I like my rice sticky, not fluffy as most Americans prefer. I owe it to my Asian roots, perhaps. :)
I am with you. I love the sticky rice too. I too prefer the sticky over the loose rice.

I am with you two! I prefer the sticky rice too, but it is sort of a pain to cook compared to "Minute rice". It is worth the extra effort though. BTW...no Asian roots here....just a fan of Asian food. Something tells me you two are probably fans of Sushi (at least some variety). :)

I got on a brown rice kick after eating at PF Changs. I don't know if you have all been there, but they have very good brown rice. It is sort of sticky but not too much, I would love to replace the Ramen in my pantry (the breaks of being a bachelor) with brown rice, but I would want a rice cooker. Can anyone suggest a nice model that is easy to clean? (might i direct your eyes above...I am single, and cleaning is not my bag.)

I have a rice cooker by black and decker. I purchased it from walmart. It is the larger model that can make up to 12 cups of rice. I love my rice cooker and always use it. It is pretty easy to clean. If the rice burns all you have to do is let it soak in water and then it will be good to go.

I like brown rice too. It's a better whole grain and you really can't tell a difference in most dishes anyway.

I pretty much never buy white rice anymore.

My DH loves authentic 'sticky rice' as well. We found one local asian restaurant that makes it and it is sooooo good. Have not successfully found it in stores yet though.

I don't know if you can use a rice cooker. But I know it takes longer to cook. It should tell you on the package. Brown rice is far healthier for you

Back