What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to glaze a ham

R

retta1

I have a wonderful Pecan Glaze for ham, but apparently do not how to put the glaze on. It always slides off. What is the proper way to glaze a ham?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I usually brush my glaze on gradually to build it up to a nice coating.. I brush on a light coat, allow it to bake for about 10 minutes and repeat until I have the results that I am looking for. A ham is usually prebaked so by the time the ham has been heated through the glaze should be just right. before applying the first coat of glaze, using paper towels, dry the ham off really well.

the 'other' question to 'glazing a ham' is expectations.....

to me a glaze is a 'near clear shiny coating' - but I have seen hams with a thick (almost bread crumb like) "glaze" - a good quarter inch thick - essentially a 'crust' not -to my thinking - a 'glaze'

via traditional (pick a type) 'sugar syrup & baste ' methods, the heat needed to crystallize sugars into such a thick coating methinks would carbonize the meat - so I'm thinking the ham gets 'wet plastered' with something akin to brown sugar & spices . . . .

After reading all of the info, I think I will bake the ham for recommended time and temp. 20 prior to being done, I will take it out of the oven, score it, put my glaze with pecans lightly, put it back in the oven, repeat that sequence a couple of times. When it is done, remove it from the oven. Let the ham rest. By that time, the rest of the glaze will be cooler and the glaze with pecans on the bottom of the pan will have also cooled. I will then carefully pour/brush the pecans on the ham. Do all of you agree?

>>agree?

not entirely. you should score before cooking.

wrote a big long thing and then carelessly closed the browser and not going to re-create that right now.

from your last, sounds like you're using a sugar syrup glaze - it would be very helpful to have some idea about the recipe - you can leave out the family secrets if you want, presuming it doesn't drastically affect the stuff.

depending on the glaze to (a) reach the proper temp in the oven and then (b) cool to the proper working temp in the pan is going to be a bit of luck.

getting predictable results with a sugar syrup does require good temp control.

scoring should be done before baking and glazes go on after the ham is thoroughly cooked through with an internal temperature of 165 - 170* F.

Back