What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confections with egg?

HeadChef

I was thinking of putting pudding into molded chocolates.... the egg yolks are cooked, but it has to set in the fridge. I don't know what will happen to it at room temperature, I don't know if it will rot or what? does something like this have a shelf life?

it's a wonderful idea if made, kept refrigerated, served straight from the fridge, eaten at that time (and not saved for later), returned to the fridge, and eaten in 2 days - after that it may start to breakdown -

Also- keep in mind that if kept in the fridge a heavy-moisture item inside of a chocolate shell will cause the chocolate to sweat- just as a glass of iced tea does in summertime heat.

I decorate filled extra-large chocolate eggs often at Easter time. I use a mold that produces an egg just slightly smaller than the "Legg's Panty Hose" egg. There are very specially made fillings for these that are prepared w/ pasteurized eggs and a low moisture content. (Do you have a "Wilton" store in your area that sells "Wilton" cake and candy supplies?) None are as thin or "loose" as say- pudding. In fact, most of the fillings are more a "gel" or "marshmallow fluff" consistency- much "tighter" or stiffer, due just to this moisture issue.

Your idea is a great one. Just be sensitive to what you use as a filling.

Hi HC,

I am not trained at a formal school of cooking. But any pudding I know of needs refrigeration, except those puddings in a cup that you buy for kids lunches. I won't even eat those at room temp. as they taste best chilled. Even custard pies must be refrigerated. So if you would make those pudding filled chocolate easter treats PLEASE refrigerate for safety purposes! Beisdes I would rather fill a chocolate shell with a refrigerated pudding or custard, room temp. would be OK, and hot would melt the chocolate;)

It really is sad that they did not teach you these simple things in Culinary School! But you may not have specialized in deserts?:rolleyes: Schools are seriously lacking sometimes me thinks!

I am still planning, but will probably try doing it in a couple of days or so...just experimenting or something haha.

Back