What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with sauce decisions

Chef LG

because I am in a pre-exam for becoming a sou chef next fall I have to try and decide what sauce I need for a piece of chicken, pork and or fish
what kinds of cuts for chicken or pork or kind of fish i do not know...it is a black box and so we need three recepies all with sauces and which ever one the teacher decides is the one i'm doing. I am Just learning the soups and stocks part of classes right now at the same time im taking the pre-exam for the sou chef so I kinda need help because my knowledge in this area is very limited. open to any and all suggestions. thanks and i appriciate any help XD

at the moment i havent made any sauces for anything really except roux or gravy so i have no clue XD

there are plenty of recipes out there for different types of sauces - check them out and start making them - it never hurts to try

Have you made- or will you soon be learning to make hollandaise sauce yet? Hollandaise is a classic imulsion sauce- you probably know it's the traditional sauce that tops eggs benedict- for example. While at home I tend to eat simple and homestyle- preferring gravy or raw sauces such as salsas, picantes, relishes or cancasse's made w/ uncooked tomatos or fruits.

But when I want to entertain and impress my fav chicken dish of all time is an Alaskan dish- a broiled or grilled (even floured and sauteed) boneless breast topped w/ extracted king crabmeat and topped w/ sauce choron. Which is a derivative of the classic hollandaise. It's just hollandaise w/ a tarragon/shallots reduction and a bit of tomato paste whisked into it. DELICIOUS!

no chubbyalaskagriz i have not made hollindase sauce but i will be making it sometime within the next three months....when im not exactly sure D:
i have not done a whole lot of cooking stuff at home mainly cuz we usually dont have the ingrediants and or money to buy them ....so i just work with usually canned stuff and frozen/thawed cuts of meats. i did however make my first ever sorta sauce...had some condenced cream of celery soup though as the main and then i added stuff to it but its a start i guess. I know i need to make sauces from scratch at the college though so i just need to make sure when we do have the ingredients to make something before we run out.
One thing the instructers have tried to stress on multipul ocasions is the fact that simplicity is key and during cooking competitions sometimes the more simplistic and original the better. Thank you for your suggestion i will keep it in mind for a chicken recepie....might make things easier that way.

Chef Lg, again do not be embarrassed about a modest budget. I was raised in a poor household- not that your's is poor- but mine was. High-end fancy, pricy food is FUN! But downhome, simple, basic food is meaningful and necessary and valuable too. Peasant food the world over is coveted, celebrated and sought after- just like in the Disney flick "Ratatoullie"! Ha! Never be ashamed of anything- in the food world all backgrounds are respected and celebrated. Your past, your history will impact, influence and drive you more often than you know!

Back