What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is my alternative to balsamic vinegar when making a pomodoro sauce?

HeadChef

I would really want to make some shrimp pomodoro pasta..... is there any alternative ingredient to balsamic vinegar when making the pomodoro sauce?

Here is the recipe for the sauce:

diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
Basil 1 leaf
olive oil 1tsp-1tbsp (your choice)
balsamic vinegar 1 tsp-1tbsp (your choice)
garlic 2 cloves
shallots 1 tbsp

Any suggestions?

This Italian does not use balsamic vinegar in her pomodoro sauce - I'd leave it out -
if you REALLY HAVE TO put something in - try red wine - but a simple marinara like that does not need it at all.

This Italian does not use balsamic vinegar in her pomodoro sauce - I'd leave it out -
if you REALLY HAVE TO put something in - try red wine - but a simple marinara like that does not need it at all.
Really? I'll believe you as Italians are expert in this.. thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!

Don't use the balsamico vinegar in you tomato sauce! I'm quite an expert in tomato "salsa" (I visit Italy on regular basis) and it's true that Italians don't use vinegar in the recipe (add a little bit of sugar will kill the acidity of the tomato - I guess that was the intent of using balsamico).

Back