What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I know which wine to use?

HeadChef

Hi! I am trying out a pot roast recipe that calls for wine but wasn't specified what type. How would I know which type of wine to use for cooking?

Appreciate all your response.

Most wines for cooking are sorted and assigned the same basic way that wines are paired w/ food for drinking.

For instance most times robust red meats like beef, lamb and game are paired w/ robust red wines. Beef and burgundy or merlot or cabernets are traditional go-togethers.

While paler pinks and whites tend to be paired w/ lighter meats. Chicken and fish tend to mostly be paired w/ vermouth, chablis, chardonnay, champagnes, pinot blancs, pinot grigios, rieslings, sauvignon blancs...

And for the record- the name given to a wine usually comes from the variety of grape that wine derives from.

I disagree with the standard rule of thumb used by most wine experts in regards with what wine goes with what.
Cooking wines sold in stores, Garbage and should never be purchased. Specially the ones that you can't get buzzed off of. The 0% alcohol.

I usually go with using the wines that I enjoy drinking. No I have never made a sauce with Mad Dog or Night Train. If you like to drink a certain wine with a meal, then why not include it in the recipe.

General rule of thumb says use Red for beef and lamb dishes, the red meats. White for chicken, fish and other white meats. What, wine has to match the colors of the food?

I'm a male and matching colors is not what I do, lol.

For a Scalopine dish, chicken or veal, I would go with a nice dry White wine. But for a Parmesan, I would go with a Burgundy. For a Chinese food dish I usually go with a White and it doesn't matter what type of meat goes into it.

If I am making a dish with a fruit base I like to use a Sangria. I must admit though, to go back on what I said above about 0% alcohol, A sparkling Apple cider works great for baked goods and pastry doughs and even biscuits.

I am not a consumer of classy expensive wines. I wouldn't pay more than 20.00 for a bottle if it wasn't for something special. Table wines are great for cooking. I call them "Jugs O Wine", lol. Any Italian knows what I'm talking about. "Jug O Wine is excellent for hearty dishes like pot roast or stews.

A PBS Chef favorite of mine from many years ago, Justin Wilson, the Cajun Chef, has many videos on UTube. He used wine in almost every dish he prepared. Great viewing if you ever get the chance.

every type of wine is used in silver glass to taste the life.

While paler pinks and whites tend to be paired w/ lighter meats. Chicken and fish tend to mostly be paired w/ vermouth, chablis, chardonnay, champagnes, pinot blancs, pinot grigios, rieslings, sauvignon blancs...

Hi Kev - I know I've been gone a while...things have been so busy in a really great way, but I've had such little time.

Alas - I had to mention to you that a column I wrote a couple of months ago had me experimenting with vintage martinis which called for vermouth...it was quite an experience and my body still kinda aches when I see that word! :D

Thanks for the post.. I don't drink Alcohol (because it's gross) but I DO like using wine in cooking.... =D I always want to pick up wine to keep until I need it (but things like pinot grigio, sauvingon blanc, riesling leave me clueless!

So I needed this!

Re..

Its very easy.. basically the cooking is mostly paired with the red wine..!! Its very rare that any other wine is used but most probably the red wine is used!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back