What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know of a good sauce for salmon?

Chef LG

i am looking for a sauce that is light for salmon or some type of delicate fish...im not sure if its salmon or not yet that i will be using but i do not have ideas....i was thinking that maybe i could do a celery sauce with the salmon and i did try it out sorta but i do not have a good recepie for celery sauce....anyone???
um....also if you have other ideas for any types of fish and sauce please let me know ....i would appriciate it....i have to have something written down by this friday....please and thank you for all your suggestions XD

Traditional flavors that pair well w/ salmon are dill, cucumber, light fruity wines- and fruit itself.

So a dill hollandaise or a light dill champagne sauce would be lovely.

Or a chilled cuke-dill sauce made w/ half-yogurt/half-sourcream... kind of tzadziki-style as with gyros...

Or my personal favs- just top the salmon w/ a dab of Alfredo Sauce or Mornay and sprinkle a few blackberries on as garnish! OR make a sweet/savory barbecue sauce w/ caramelized onions, store-bought peach preserves and a dash of soy sauce and cayenne.

Ginger-Honey Glazed Barbecued Salmon

1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
6 salmon fillets, 4 to 6 ounces each

1. Combine the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan. Cook over high heat until the mixture reduces by half. Let cool.
2. Spray the grill grate with non-stick spray (or oil it well) and preheat the grill to medium-high.
3. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Brush them on both sides with the honey mixture.
4. Grill the salmon on each side until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
5. Drizzle the salmon with the remaining honey mixture and serve.

Grilled Salmon Fillets with Creamy Horseradish Sauce

Sauce:
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Salmon:
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon prepared white horseradish
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
6 (1-inch-thick) salmon fillets (each about 6 ounces)

For sauce:
Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and
pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

For salmon:
Spray grill rack generously with nonstick spray. Prepare
barbecue (medium-high heat). Whisk oil, horseradish, soy sauce,
garlic, salt, and pepper in another small bowl. Brush oil mixture
over both sides of salmon fillets. Grill salmon just until opaque in
center, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer salmon to plates. Serve
with sauce.

Salmon in Tomato Cream Sauce

1 - 2 cans (15 oz, 425g each) chopped tomatoes with liquid
1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream or half-and-half
1 Tbs (15 ml) anchovy paste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
4-6 salmon fillets, grilled, broiled, sauteed, or poached

Combine the tomatoes, cream, anchovy paste, salt, pepper, and optional hot sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until reduced by about a third, 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon over cooked salmon. Serves 4 to 6.

Seasoned Dill Sauce

1/2 c. sour cream*
1/2 c. mayonnaise*
2 tsp seasoned salt (Lawry's)
1 tsp dill weed (if fresh use more)
1 tsp ground pepper

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until time to serve.

*Fat-free or low-fat can be substituted.

thanks for the suggestions....haha...hmmm...i think i already got an idea though....tell me what you think...it isnt due till friday so im open to how to make it better or tell me if it sounds completly horible haha!

BEARNAISE SAUCE
4 egg yolks
Juice of 1 lemon
2 c. melted butter
Salt
Pepper
2 tbsp. capers
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1 tbsp. tarragon vinegar
In the top of a double boiler, beat egg yolks and lemon. Cook slowly over low heat, never allowing water in bottom of the double boiler to come to a boil (just simmer).
Slowly add melted butter to egg yolks and lemon mixture.
Add salt and pepper, capers, parsley, vinegar, whisk to blend.
Makes 2 cups.

That sauce over pan fried salmon and then grill mark the salmon for presentation purposes XD ....any suggestions on how to make it bettter or if i should just scrap it right now haha! ....one dish down....2 more to go....now its....chicken and pork dishes i have to do....suggestions? i'll take anything haha! hey i was thinking with the dish above.....for a vegitable....asparagus but i dunno....any other ideas for a good veggie to go with the salmon/bearnaise sauce plate?

oh and do you have any good ideas for a name for that dish??? im drawing a blank...we have to "name the dish" as if it were being put on a menu.....i have no clue what the heck to call it...haha...pullin an all nighter just to get all this crap done by friday 7:00 in the morning...its hard doing this around work and all. haha...i'll do it somehow i always do XD just overwhelming right now....wish me luck! and thanks for your advice in advanced in case i forget to check what you guys said haha! it happens XD

Bearnaise is a classic sauce- a derivative of Hollandaise- one of the "Mother Sauces". It's a sauce commonly used for both salmon and beef because their deep robust flavors stand-up well to the powerful flavor of the trragon and tarragon wine-vinegar.

I would think a classic sauce should never be re-named. Afterall- this particular dish has been "Salmon Bearnaise" for eons.

If you were to invent another sauce though, or drastically change it- or impact it w/ something new and fresh- then one might wish to change the name.

Chef LG, I have an extra copy of James Peterson's classic "Sauces". If you're interested in having it, PM me a mailing address and I'd be happy to send it!

I would think a classic sauce should never be re-named. Afterall- this particular dish has been "Salmon Bearnaise" for eons.

If you were to invent another sauce though, or drastically change it- or impact it w/ something new and fresh- then one might wish to change the name.

I agree with CAG. Classic sauce can never be renamed. If it would be invented
with another sauce, it will be called a variation of the original one and should be renamed. :eek:

To me, this sauce is a bit rich for sockeye or white king salmon great for silver or red king.

I also have a green pepperdorn sauce that is great on meaty fish, salmon or mahi mahi

Salmon with Pinot Gris Caper Sauce

SALMON WITH PINOT GRIS CAPER SAUCE

Erath Vinyards

8 5oz salmon fillet with skin, center cut, 3/4 " thick
2 tbls soy sauce
4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise
1/2 cup olive oil
3 medium red bell peppers, peeled, seeded and 1/4" dice
1/2 cup pinot gris (or any dry white wine)
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup dijon mustard
one 3 oz jar of capers with brine.

Rub the salmon with soy sauce and refrigerate for 1 hour. Return to room temperature before cooking.

In a large, heavy skillet, cook the garlic in the oil over moderate heat until the garlic turns light brown. Do no let the garlic burn. Discard the garlic.

Add the bell peppers to the oil, cover and cook over low heat until tender, about 5 min. add the wine and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Boil until reduced slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the cream and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes.

Heat a large, dry, nonstick skillet over high heat. Sear the salmon pieces, skin side down, for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the salmon is opaque on the outside and still slightly translucent in the center. Remove and discard the salmon skin.

Rewarm the sauce over low heat. Stir in the
mustard and capers with brine. Spoon the sauce onto warmed plates and place a piece of slamon on top.

notes: don't discard the browned garlic. drain on a paper towel and salt and munch on it.
I found 3 peppers to be too much, I usually use one large. as for the dijon, add 1 TB and taste. add more according to your tastes.

you can also flake the cooked salmon and mix with linquine and the sauce. you won't need as much salmon if you use it with the pasta.

always taste the wine first before adding to the sauce. if you won't drink it by the glass don't put it in the pot. if it meets your approval, pour another glass and proceed with recipe.
enjoy!

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile." -Franklin P. Jones

Last edited:
HI..!!
8 oz. of salmon per person
2 lemons
1 tsp. olive oil
Sauce:
4 medium, peeled and seeded tomatoes
1/2 stick of butter
1 - 1.25 cups of white wine
2 cloves garlic
1.5 tsp. of dill weed
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Preheat oven to 375°F.
SAUCE:
Chop tomatoes to fineness desired. Puree for a completely smooth sauce, or less for more chunky texture.
In a sauce pan, combine tomatoes, butter, 1 cup of wine and garlic over medium heat.
Stir and reduce liquid volume by 1/2 - 3/4 (about 10-15 minutes).
Add whipping cream and dill weed. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir slowly, but continuously until the sauce is somewhat thick. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little extra wine.

Back