What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My fear of glass in the oven

Z

Zeppy

When I was a kid I remember being asked to move a glass casserole dish out of the way, so I put it in the sink and turned the water on. It prompty shattered into about half a dozen pieces, and it freaked me out a bit. So I very rarely ever put glass in the oven and even then i use cork hot pads on the counter. I am generally freaked out that too much cold to fast will make the dish explode in my hands. I know it's a bit foolish, but has anyone else broken a dish like that? I think it was Pyrex, but I can't be too sure I was probably about 8.

Not in the oven, but when I was younger my mom had a pyrex pie plate that was on the stove shatter.

I mean, it exploded into a million pieces. That was scary.

As heatproof as Pyrex is, it's sure not recommended for direct heat like the stovetop.

It happened to me twice!

When using a glass or pyrex baking/casserole dish in the oven, I make sure that the oven is on no more than 300 - 325* F. When removing from the oven I always use a wooden cutting board under it. Using a trivet broke one on me years ago.

It is the last item washed - in very hot water and rinsed in very hot water.

Glass is nice to cook in - but after years of use something happens to the glass.

Lol....reminds me of Thanksgiving 2 years ago. My brother made stuffing and set his glass cassarole dish on the burners of the stove. About 20 minutes later, my wife needed to turn on the oven, but turned the wrong knob and turned on the burner instead. About 1-2 minutes later, the pan shattered everywhere....just about giving everyone a heart attack! She felt so bad that the entire pan of stuffing was lost because of all the glass shards....especially since it was the food that someone else made.

Oh, it's all too common to accidentally turn the wrong knob

This has nothing to do with glass, but once I set the kitchen on fire trying to boil water, because instead of turning on the burner with the pot of water, I turned on the burner that had a piece of plastic on it. :eek:

I also shattered a pyrex glass on the stovetop at one point. That was one major mess to clean up.

I don't really understand the Pyrex saucepans. I've always thought the good stovetop cookware was made to have high heat conducting attributes, and that's why they're often copper and aluminum. Glass on the other hand is a terrible conductor of heat.

I like to think Pyrex cassaroles and baking pans are ok in the oven, but must be treated with care and let heat and cool slowly. I try to handle them with the same care as is I use with sharp kitchen knives. And as Mama said, placing them on a wooden cutting board when removed from the oven will prevent the accidents like turning on the burner under the Pyrex glass casserole.

I like to use Pyrex as a casserole dish because they look so nice.

I have had a glass pan explode also. It was a brand other than pyrex I do believe. It wasnt under direct heat. although I dont remember exactly what made it pop, I do remember it was quite frightening.

I've had a glass pan shatter as well. It's quite a scary kind of explosion.

Makes me want to cook with goggles on just in case a sliver of glass got in my eye. Now that would be awful, to say the least.

I've never had a glass pan shatter and pyrex is all we bake with (i hate metal pans b/c they all have that nonstick coating and it gets scratched with our serving utensils).

Pyrex can be used in the freezer, fridge, preheated oven and microwave. Yes, Pyrex can go from the freezer to a preheated conventional oven. Some tips that some people do not know are as follows....

When cooking meats and veggies in a Pyrex that release liquid while baking you must add enough liquid to cover the bottom of the dish. If not the cold juice that seeps out will shock the dish and well you know what happens...

Also NEVER set a Pyrex baking dish on top of the stove after taking it out of the oven to much sudden temperature change. You are to take it out and sat it on dry pot holders.

Avoid any sudden temperature change with Pyrex.

When I was a kid I remember being asked to move a glass casserole dish out of the way, so I put it in the sink and turned the water on. It prompty shattered into about half a dozen pieces, and it freaked me out a bit. So I very rarely ever put glass in the oven and even then i use cork hot pads on the counter. I am generally freaked out that too much cold to fast will make the dish explode in my hands. I know it's a bit foolish, but has anyone else broken a dish like that? I think it was Pyrex, but I can't be too sure I was probably about 8.

No this has never happened to me thank goodness but I have always been told not to put cold water on it or put it in the fridge just to let it cool on its own that if I did any of those things that it would break. I guess that I have been very lucky though that this has never happened to me.

I've done the cold water thing before... Grandma was NOT happy!!!

Back