What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

marty31

M

marty31

I could use some cooking advice. Yesterday I made 2 beautiful rhubarb pies. When I cut them they were full of liquid. I had added no liquid to my ingredients of rhubarb, flour, sugar and butter. Anyone know why or what to do about this problem?

Did you use a thickener? rhubarb can be up to 95% water and if you wash it without drying well you are adding more water - tapioca or cornstarch would help as a thickener

Rhubarb Pie

2 cups of fresh rhubarb
1 egg
4 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of sugar
salt (as needed)
1 teaspoon of lemon juice

• Mix sugar, sale, lemon and flour. Beat egg. Cut rhubarb into pieces. Toss rhubarb in egg, then add to flour mixture. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes at 425 degrees.

or

1 pint raw rhubarb
1-1/4 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons water
2 eggs

Combine rhubarb, sugar, salt, flour, and water. Add eggs. Mix. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Top with lattice crust. Bake in slow oven at 325 degrees until done (usually about 35 to 45 minutes).

Rhubarb Pie

Crust:

1 cup sifted flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter

1 egg, beaten

2 tablespoons milk

Mix as for pie crust.

Filling:

3 cups diced raw rhubarb

1 (3-ounce) package strawberry gelatin

1/2 cup unsifted flour

1 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

3 tablespoons melted margarine

Sift together 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in margarine. Add egg and milk; mix.

Press into 9-inch pie plate. Arrange rhubarb in pie shell; sprinkle with gelatin. Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle on top of pie.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender.

Rhubarb Pie

1-1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon butter
2 well-beaten eggs
3 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 recipe plain pastry

Blend sugar, flour, nutmeg and butter. Add beaten eggs; beat smooth. Pour over rhubarb in a 9-inch pastry- lined pie pan. Bake at 450 degrees 10 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until nearly set in center.

Back