What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marinated Carrots!

jpshaw

The wife fixed these about a month ago and I was told not to indulge since it was high in sodium and off of my diet. You know about the human race and forbidden fruits. Well I'm no different. After 4 times, tweaking a little each time, here is what I have come up with:

3 cups carrots, sliced
1/2 cup onion, sliced
1/4 cup bell pepper, sliced
one 8 oz can No Salt Added (NSA) tomato sauce
4 pkts of Splenda
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp No Salt Seasoning (If you can't find it I have a recipe for it)

Boil the carrots for about 15 - 20 minutes. Add the onion and bell pepper right at the last for just a minutes. Drain the water and add all the other ingredients. Let chill overnight in the frig.

Is anyone going to read this? I think there is an echo in this room.

Is anyone going to read this? I think there is an echo in this room.[/QUOTE]

Of course we are going to read this - and yes there is an echo - it happens. I just hope everyone cools off and this returns to normal.

Is anyone going to read this? I think there is an echo in this room.

Of course we are going to read this - and yes there is an echo - it happens. I just hope everyone cools off and this returns to normal.[/QUOTE]

I was making a joke about the Low sodium forum being empty and I was the only one who posted here very much. BTW Dilbert it's not a mystery recipe but a simple low sodium alternative to a usually high sodium item. It's actually very good. If you're talking about the "No Salt Seasoning" there is such a product but it's hard to find. The only reason to try it is if you are on a low sodium diet. If you're not why bother.

Last edited:
well it's not easy popping onto a site when tempers have flared - there is an echo here - but hopefully the little echo will post recipes and all will be well again - and as far as no-salt, low-salt recipes - just like no-fat, low-fat recipes - you can make any recipe as salty, sweet or fattening as you wish - I got a lot of recipes that we wouldn't eat because of low-fat, no-fat, etc. and I made them the way we are used to and everyone likes them - that's the best part of cooking - you can do anything you want!

This recipe is good if you are on a low sodium diet. Most marinated carrots are loaded with salt. I posted it in the "Low Sodium" forum since I thought thats where it should go. It is a good recipe but probably no better then most unless you are a heart patient. Then it becomes a really good recipe since it doesn't send you to the emergency room with congestive heart failure. I thought every recipe posted on the "Low Sodium" forum was there since it was "low sodium". The only thing special about it is that if you are a heart patient like me it won't kill you. That is what makes it a great recipe. If I would have posted it on the salad forum I would have stated it was for people on a low sodium diet. In the future when I post a recipe in the low sodium forum I will state up front that it is a low sodium recipe. I never thought my recipe would offend anyone so I appologize for posting it.

I don't feel an apology is needed for your recipe - I don't think it would hurt anyone to watch their sodium intake anyway.

>>offend?

heavens sakes no! the stuff does not "offend" me in the least - it just not something that catches my interest so I don't expend much effort at reading / absorbing them.

As a heart patient I will be posting on occasion on the this "low sodium" forum. If it does not interest you please do not respond to them, expecially in what appeared to me as; "Why did you post this since I am not interested in it" manner. There are post all over some of these forums that I have little interest in. I would never respond to one in a negative manner since I need to respect those that do have an interest in it. I did not choose low sodium as a way of life. It was the luck of the draw. Bad heart and I have to live with it. On occasion I have to appologize for not being able to eat something someone has fixed but I would like to think the people on this forum are my friends and I would not have to appologize for my health to them.

BTW: I do hope that we can end this thread as friends and for the record the marinated carrots are very good. I do hope someone will try them.

Last edited:
jp -

my response was entirely due to your "echo" question. just a note to let you know yes people are reading/scanning through.

obviously I failed to successfully convey that sentiment.

The term "echo" simply meant an empty room. If you look the history of this forum I am the only one in it besides Mama helping me out from time to time. I think everyone misread that term. The statement "I hope someone will read this" was the same thing. A forum without a readership.

The term "echo" simply meant an empty room. If you look the history of this forum I am the only one in it besides Mama helping me out from time to time. I think everyone misread that term. The statement "I hope someone will read this" was the same thing. A forum without a readership.

I love this carrot recipe JP!!! And have you ever heard of a seasoning called SPIKE? I recently bought the salt-free Spike and oh my gosh is it great If you have never used it I insist you get your hands on a bottle and give it a try, it is outta this world! Use it on EVERYTHING from fish and chicken to veggies! I promise it will make you very HAPPY! If you can not get ahold of any let me know and I will mail you a bottle.

Last edited:
I would be very interested. Is it a liquid or a spice/herb dry mixture? BTW anytime I have a recipe you can simply replace the No-Salt Seasoning or salt sub with a like amount of normal salt.

May I add a recipe? Is it adaptable?

4 cups drained cooked carrot slices
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup margarine
4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Arrange carrot slices into a buttered casserole dish.
Into a small casserole, mix then bring together sugar, vinegar and margarine to a boil.
Dissolve cornstarch into water; stir into sugar mixture.
Pour sauce all over carrot slices, into casserole dish.
Bake into preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, before serving.

or how about a no-name carrot recipe?

cook carrots; mash
saute onion until transparent (finely chopped)
season to taste with herbs of choice
add milk and butter (like making mashed potatoes)

place in buttered casserole, top with crumbs of choice, dot with butter -

350 till heated through and top is golden

adaptable?

Both are very adaptable. I would just sub some Unsalted Margarine or butter and go from there. I'm probably try them both.

I would be very interested. Is it a liquid or a spice/herb dry mixture? BTW anytime I have a recipe you can simply replace the No-Salt Seasoning or salt sub with a like amount of normal salt.

JP it is a dry spice mixture here is a link that I found that shows a bottle of it. But at Kroger I did find it in salt-free. It has such a great flavor, I imagine you would enjoy it as much as I do!
http://www.naturalgrocers.com/spike_salt_free_by_modern_products_1_9_oz_item_122159-p-11660.html

Last edited:
Back