What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flour Tortillas

conniee

Marie's Flour Tortillas

3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup water

In bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening
with fingers or fork. Now slowly add water to form a dough.
When you can form a ball in your hand it is ready.You may not need all the water, if fact you probably won't. Pinch off about 1" ball, roll into a circle and cook on hot grill, or iron skillet until brown, flip and do other side.

Hi!!
I have made tortillas many times. I tried making this recipe and I normally use organic shortening sticks I find next to the butter. I would have used maybe 1/3 c shortening and a little more salt and baking powder. Also the water was wayyyyy too much! I used about 1/2 cup. Maybe a little more.

We used to make tortillas often, but don't have to any more. For the last several years we have had a tortilla factory right here in town. Kind of a mom and pop operation. But super products. Made fresh every day.CF:)

I know the water is way too much for someone who measures their flour correctly..but so many don't. I don't make tortillas often, and we use very little salt in our cooking. Perhaps, all my recipes are now altered for very little salt, I don't recall right now.
I do use the aluminum free baking powder, don't know if that makes a difference or not. Thanks for the replies. What are the recipes you use to make tortillas?

Yes, butter is fine. In fact, our local grocery store makes tortillas and they
advertise them as butter tortillas. (HEB Grocery)

Back