What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chow Chow and/or Piccalilli please

yoyo1198

I did a search within SP and found zilch. I know chow chow and piccalilli are not the same thing but they are at least kissin' cousins. Most of the recipes I've found on the 'innertubes' make up in too large a quantity for me. Anyone have a recipe for maybe just a few jars? As always, help will be appreciated. :D

how about halving this -

Chow Chow

1 quart cucumbers
1 quart corn
1 quart string (green and yellow mixed) beans
1 quart lima beans
1 quart cauliflower
1 pint celery
1 pint green bell peppers
1 pint red bell peppers
1 cup small onions
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups granulated sugar
1 quart vinegar or apple cider vinegar

Chop vegetables in varying sizes and cook until just tender (DO NOT OVERCOOK). Do this by cooking all the vegetables separately, then mixing them together.

Combine sugar, vinegar and dry mustard in large pot, and bring to boiling. Add vegetables, and bring to a boil again. Remove from heat, place into jars and seal.

Piccalilli

4 cups finely chopped cabbage
4 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup salt
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon turmeric
Dash of hot pepper sauce

Chop vegetables using the coarse blade of a food grinder or in a food processor. Combine vegetables and salt; cover and let stand overnight.

Drain off as much liquid as possible, pressing through a clean, thin white cloth if necessary. Tie cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a cheesecloth bag. Place vegetables, spice bag and remaining ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Ladle into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal. Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes.

Yields 4 pints.

Oooooooh! What a rapid response!!!! Thank you, Mama. You're faster than Google. :)) I shall be doing these Friday.

Back