What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sodium Free Bacos!

jpshaw

I am still looking for this "Sodium Free" Baco product. Have yet to find it. I know it would not be real bacon but it's supposed to taste like bacon. If anyone runs across it please let me know. I would really like to bump up the taste of a salad now and then.

Organic Bac’uns Bacon Bits Alternative
$5.19
Purchase Organic Bac’uns Bacon Bits Alternative

A great tasting vegan alternative to bacon bits, Bac’uns offer the same flavor but without the meat, cholesterol, artificial colors and preservatives. Use them to top salads, spruce up a baked potato, or top off your favorite soup! 2.7 oz. bottle is $5.19.

Ingredients: Textured organic low fat soy flour, salt, natural vegan flavors, caramel color

Nutritional Information:
Serving size – 1 1/3 tbsp
Servings per container – 11
Calories per serving – 25
Total fat – 0.5g (0g saturated)
Sodium – 140mg
Total carbohydrate – 2g (less than 1g dietary fiber, 0g sugars)
Protein – 3g

Purchase Organic Bac’uns Bacon Bits Alternative

Other products in the category Food, Sweets and Beverages / Pantry Essentials:

Organic Bac’uns Bacon Bits Alternative (Food, Sweets and Beverages / Pantry Essentials)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bacuns Imitation Bacon Bits :: Vegan Store.com - Pangea Vegan Products. The Best in Vegan Shopping.

Product Description:
Now available in both Organic and Natural versions!
Bac`uns are delicious, crunchy, soy-based imitation bacon bits. They make a perfect vegan addition to salads, baked potatoes, soups, and countless recipes. All-natural and low in fat. Kosher. 2.8 oz. jar.

Ingredients:
(Natural Version): Textured vegetable protein (soy flour and caramel color), soybean oil, salt, vegan natural flavors.

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 1 tbsp.
Calories: 25
Carbohydrates: 2g
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 150mg
Sugars: 0g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 2g

-----
or
-----

(Organic Version): Textured organic lowfat soy flour, salt, natural flavors, caramel color.

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 1 1/3 tbsp.
Servings per Container: 11
Calories: 25
Carbohydrates: 2g
Fat: 0.5g
Sodium: 140mg
Sugars: 0g
Fiber: <1g

JP, you trying to get away from the salt or the bacon or both? Making my search easier. CF:)

CF - I've been on a No Salt - Low Sodium diet since 2005. Trying to keep under 1000 mg a day on sodium which is very hard to do. I can eat anything under about 20 mg of sodium per serving. I do eat out with the family about once every two weeks and it takes 3-5 days to get rid of the excess fluid. Very weak heart that cannot get rid of fluid like a normal heart can. I actually carry on a fairly normal life and walk a mile every morning (flat ground only) and have gone back to work about 4 hours a day.

OK JP, heres a thought. Fresh pork belly (not cured), sliced, marinate in some water brown sugar, and a small amount of liquid smoke Then fry until crisp. Hence bacon bits with no salt.
Or omit the liquid smoke (witch I hate) and cook on your smoker until crisp.
From what I can find out liquid smoke has just smoke and water, no salt. Just thinking. I don't know if this would taste like bacon. But it might. CF:)

The product I am looking for is probably not made anymore since I cannot find it by Googling. It was probably made from soybeans, flavored with liquid smoke and had Potassium Chloride to make it "salty". I can have certain sugar cured pork products but they seem to be very scarce in my rural area.

Back