What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stollen Bread

ChileFarmer

I made this German Christmas bread. I have never eaten it before so don't know what it is supposed to taste like. The recipe sounded pretty interesting. Besides we had some leftover candied fruit. CF:)

Stollen Bread
StolenBread.jpg

German Stollen
1 cup water
2 eggs
1/4 cup skim milk powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
3 3/4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
1/2 cup mixed candied fruit
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Measure all ingredients except fruit, raisins, and almonds into the baking pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
Select dough cycle.
Add fruit, raisins, and almonds at the "add ingredient" signal.
Remove dough to a lightly floured board; cover with a large bowl and let rest 10 - 15 minutes.
Divide dough in half.
Roll out each half into a 9-inch circle.
Fold one circle almost in half with top layer set back about 1/2 inch from the bottom.
Repeat with the other half.
Place on prepared baking sheet.
Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place for 30-45 minutes or until doubled in volume.
Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until stollen sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Dust with confectioner's sugar while warm.

Last edited:
Looking good CF but, it looks like a fruit cake. It just appeared to be a bread. I'll try this recipe of your in new years day or eve and see what turns out. :) thanks!

Looks good ChileFarmer. Mrs W makes them but not
this year - she bought one from the local Haggen Foods
and it was not bad. They get authentic recipes and make
stuff from scratch. The one we got had pastry frosting on
top which we know is not good for us but I like - then there
is the butter to put on it.

I'll take a slice, please.

Back