What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have a good fruit salad recipe?

jpshaw

I've had one that had a lot of canned and frozen fruit that I liked. I know it had Mandarin Oranges, pineapple, strawberries and some other stuff. I could just make up one but thought some of you guys might have a good one. Fruit Salads are usually very low in sodium so it should fit in my diet.

I love fruit salads - and I make them from fresh, frozen or canned fruits (usually the pineapple is from a can and the mandarin oranges).
I don't measure and I just eyeball it using any type of fruit that I want.
Sometimes I will serving it in a "cloud" of whipped cream, pudding of choice, dairy topping or over jello squares. I love it served in a cloud of tart lemon pudding!
And I've even sprinkled flavored jello over whipped cream/topping to add a bit of flavor.
Sometimes I'll combine melons, berries, etc. and then I will scoop a spoon of sliced strawberries in sugar (like you use for strawberry shortcake) over the top. And in a cloud of orange sherbet! I'm in heaven! Top with maraschino cherries!

Thanks Mama. I think I could just "wing-it" but I wanted to know the base (or juice) which I believe is something canned and non-drained such as chunk pineapple or something.

I know I'm not much help in that department - I drain all the fruit and use a topping as a base (cloud) or a fruit sauce to top it.

FLUFFY FRUIT SALAD DRESSING

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
2 cups dairy sour cream

In saucepan mix together eggs, sugar and orange juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened; blend in lemon juice and orange rind. Cool. Gently fold in sour cream. Cover and chill; serve over fruit salads.

Makes about 3 cups.

SOUR CREAM FRUIT SALAD DRESSING

1 pt. sour cream
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. miniature marshmallows
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel

Stir sour cream and then mix in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for 1 hour to blend flavors. Excellent for fresh fruit or fruit and gelatin salads. Stir dressing well before serving.

FROZEN FRUIT SALAD AND DRESSING

3 ripe bananas
1 c. canned pineapple
1 c. canned pears
1 dozen maraschino cherries
1 c. fruit salad dressing, chilled, recipe follows
1 c. cream, chilled, whipped

Mash bananas to smooth pulp. Dice drained pineapple and pears. Thinly slice the cherries. Add fruit to chilled salad dressing. Then fold in cream. Pour into 8x12 inch pan. Place in freezer and freeze until firm. Cut into squares and serve on lettuce.

FRUIT SALAD DRESSING:

1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
1 egg
2 tbsp. vinegar
3/4 c. pineapple juice

Mix ingredients in order given, stirring well after each addition. Cook over low heat until thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Chill thoroughly before adding the fruit. Yield: 1 cup.

LOW FAT FRUIT SALAD WITH POPPY SEED
DRESSING

1 (8 oz.) can pineapple tidbits (juice pack)
1 1/2 c. sm. strawberries or seedless red grapes
1 med. apple, cored and cut into bite size pieces
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can Mandarin orange sections (water pack, drained)
1/2 c. pineapple low-fat yogurt
1/2 tsp. poppy seed
Lettuce leaves

Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon of the juice. If using strawberries, cut them in halves. For the fruit mixture, in a medium bowl, combine the pineapple, strawberries or grapes, apple and orange sections. Toss lightly to mix.

For dressing, combine yogurt, poppy seed, and the reserved pineapple juice. To serve, line salad plates with the lettuce leaves. Arrange fruit mixture on lettuce. Drizzle dressing over fruit.

Makes 5 or 6 servings.

I think I will just deviate from what I was originally looking for and go with your Sour Cream Fruit Salad Dressing. It actually sounds better.

Back