What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Bread Story

ChileFarmer

I have been trying to learn to bake. I decided to work with just one bread until I got it right. My choice was white bread. Taking notes what worked worked and what didn't was the plan, it works. Using the bread machine to do the mixing, yeah I am lazy. Then bake in the oven. Convection at 375°.
This is the method I am using now. I warm everything mixing bowls, machine pan Whisk.
2 cups water in the microwave for 2 minutes

Mix 1 cup warm water with 2 Tbls. sugar and 3 teaspoon machine yeast. Let rest for 12 minutes, until foamy.
Add 1/4 cup manteca (lard)
3 cups bread flour
3 teaspoon wheat gluten
2 teaspoon salt
Remove from bread machine after dough cycle, place in greased bowl. Let rise in warm microwave until double. Remove and work very lightly, place in loaf pan and let rise again. This time I split the top. (I have been having trouble with the bread falling.)

I got the top split a little deep, but it sure held lots of butter.
Any advice welcome. CF:)
Finished product.
SplittopButter.jpg

homemade bread and butter calls for a pot of tea!
out of butter - then just grab a big ol' pot of homemade sauce and start soppin'.....

Thank you all for the nice comments. It did taste good. I really want to know what needs to be changed with my process. I went out side the norm, right or wrong? CF:)

ChileFarmer, that is an awesome-looking loaf of bread

I agree with all; bread, STICK OF BUTTER, and a nice cup of Jasmine tea

pig heaven for Mai

instead of slitting the bread, make lighter diagonal slices - 2 or 3 across the top or don't cut it at all and let it just enjoy the heat of the oven and rise!

Mama, I did the no cut. The rise was wonderful, but when cooled it fell. The crust was loose from the bread. Hence the cut to relive some gas. Smaller cut and not so deep? CF:)

Back