What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good meatless spaghetti sauce???

franbaker

As a vegetarian I am searching for a really good meatless spaghetti sauce recipe. Can anyone provide a genuine Italian one? Thanks much.+

I'm Italian - does that count?

And I am going to assume that you mean a tomato-based sauce -

First of all - if you want a plain tomato sauce -

Heat your pan, add a bit of olive oil, heat your oil - add your tomato products (fresh tomatoes, crushed or whole peeled canned, puree, paste), and water. If I am using paste and puree, I add on paste can of water and a half puree can of water.

Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning or basil (I don't like the bitterness of marjoram so I no longer use that), a bit of onion powder. Bring to a simmer and simmer for an hour.

No need to simmer any longer - all those products are already cooked.

If you want a veggie-based sauce - with onions/bell pepper/mushrooms -
Heat your pan, add a drizzle of olive oil, saute your veggies, then add your tomato products and continue as above.

Very easy.

every Italain family has their own recipe - and they all claim to have the "authentic" one - Rick is also Italian - maybe he will share how his family has made it

also - a friend of mine is a vegetarian also - and she makes her sauce using vegetarian sausage -

Generally if we have a meatless sauce, I'll do it this way.

coat the bottom of your pot with olive oil
lightly saute some diced green bell pepper and onions
when they are done add some crushed garlic
Don't cook the garlic too long, just about a minute you don't want to brown it
Add a can or two of crushed tomatoes (depends on how many you are cooking for )
I'll usually add a bit of red or white wine ( just depends on which one I grab first)
add black pepper, a bit of salt, and some basil, and just a touch of oregano. I personally don't like a lot of oregano, but it's all to your own taste. If you can get fresh basil that's even better. sometimes I'll add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes and parsley too.

I've seen people put mushrooms in too, but I'm not a fan of mushrooms.

Nothing is set in stone, just experiment and make it your own. I'm full blooded Italian, I grew up in an all Italian neighborhood and believe me no two Italians cook alike. Like Mama said, it shouldn't take long to cook.

I'm not a big fan of oregano myself - I was turned off by the pizzerias that hit in the 60's that doused their pizza with tons of oregano - and Italians don't do that.

I always add garlic - sometimes a bit of fresh ground fennel - but it's all personal preference.

And I sometimes add a bit of sugar and fresh grated Pecorino Romano.

Thanks for the recipes

To Rick and Mangia Mia--Thank you for your input on the meatless sauce. Never thought about white or red wine. Also Mangia you are right about not overdoing dried oregano. Fresh is a different story.

Back