What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veggies

I don't eat vegetables that often, although I do thoroughly enjoy mixed vegetables. Those really taste great.

Wow - that' a hard one! I like fresh or frozen as opposed to canned. Depending on the veggie, I may steam, grill, etc. Some are good with a pat of butter while other taste better with a sauce. But I have to honestly say it depends on the veggie(s) and what I am having with it/them.

Unless I make a zucchini lasagna or an egg-based casserole that calls for asparagus, cauli, or spinach, I usually serve my veggies on the side,with a dash of fresh pepper and a bit of butter. I like to steam them, though oven roasted are great too.

Cauliflower these days especially for the low-carb followers seems to be a substitute for potatoes and recipes call for it in potato salads, "cauli-flied rice", and mashed. Interesting -- I plan on trying some of these recipes.

What's also very tasty is if a recipe calls for asparagus or cauli, you can stream it firt, then marinade it in red wine vinegar (at least 2 TBSP) and add it to the recipe. The red wine vinegar adds excellent flavour. :)

The only time I appreciated eating raw vegetables was when I was in Japan. They are so fresh that it's hard not to make salad every time and the dressings they have were ooooo. ;))

I have found it really hard to find fresh veggies in my area of town. Strawberries are tart and veggie are hard to get with their vibrant colors. I have resulted to canned and frozed. I miss fresh veggies.

I have the same issue here about fruits and veggies. I have to go to Central market to get any sort of decent selection. Too bad it is like a 30-40 minute round trip to go there.

Frozen veggies are often better than fresh even, because they are picked and frozen at the peak of freshness wherever they might be. Not all areas can get fresh veggies of all kinds all year round so frozen is definitely a good option.

I keep a bag of frozen broccoli in my freezer at all times. I can throw together some yummy quick meals with that in my "arsenal."

Funny that broccoli is my favorite veggie now, because I vividly remember being little and refusing to eat broccoli at dinner.

I love grilled zucchini. Also halved grape tomatoes sauted with zuccini in olive oil with some spices. And I have an awesome cooked carrots recipe that uses dried apricots.

I love to steam carrots, broccoli & cauliflower & in another pan melt butter and then add some velveeta cubes... Once dinner's ready just pour the cheese sauce on the veggies. This works better than putting it all together and stirring it. I always end up with the broccoli ripped to shreds when I do that.

Back