What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what every grocery store needs......

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
I don't know how you shop or how often, etc. but I do know that we stock up on goods all the time - especially in the winter months!

Since I spend so much at the grocery store (like who doesn't??) I feel that every grocery store should have "put-away clerks" who will come home with you after shopping and help you put away all your groceries!

That would free me up and give me more time for other things. For instance, while they are rotating canned goods, etc. in the pantry I could have my lettuce cleaned and washed, and my fresh parsley; the tops cuts off my radishes and carrots, etc. My fruit would be in the fruit bowl and the other fruit in the fridge. I could break done bonus packs of meat for the freezer as well.

I know that would be a real big help for me! Especially when I stock up for winter months!

And don't forget - those stinky little plastic bags don't hold much and they don't take weight - so I always end up with a ton of them - and they could take some of them back to the store for recycling!

Just a thought.......................

Oh, definitely carry-inside-the-house clerks would be great!

Mama - What a great idea, someone to carry in your groceries for you and then put them away making sure to rotate the stock in the pantry and freezer/frig. Perhaps that would be a full service grocer. You could place your order over the web or via email and they would shop for you, deliver your groceries, and put them away. Interesting new business concept.

LOL!!!!

aeiou - With my luck, having someone shop for me from the store - I would have the bread smashed in the bottom of the bag, the eggs would be cracked, the lettuce would be rusty, the tomatoes would be overripe, the cans would be dented, the meat would be on its last leg and the produce would be rotten. They would choose the most expensive items and probably shop out of the damaged goods cart!

I don't mind the shopping - its after it gets loaded in the car that gives you the workout!

Sounds nice but how would someone out of the blue know what you put where?

And don't forget - those stinky little plastic bags don't hold much and they don't take weight - so I always end up with a ton of them - and they could take some of them back to the store for recycling! ...

When they came out with those stinky little plastic bags, I wondered how it saved money. Those bags cost just as much as the old paper ones. But after thinking on it, I realized it was a savings of time in packing the bags. With paper bags, the cashier took time to make things fit in the bag just right. But with the plastic bags, they just heap it in and give you 10 times as many. Costs more in bag costs but less in labor costs. Of course the grocery stores will never tell you this. But if you think about it, it's the answer to why they push the plastic bag that holds 5 items over the paper bag that holds 18 items and costs the same price.

I would like to have someone in the store following me around, carrying my groceries. I hate the carts, so I try to use the little baskets, but sometimes they are too small.

Oh wait, I already have such a person; it's my husband. ;)

That's actually not true; he does not like going to the store. But when he does go, he carries stuff.

Sounds like a great business idea for you to start up. But a good point was brought up -- how would they know where to put things??

When my kids are older, i will 'hire' them to do that for me ;).

*laughs* Mine are old enough --- they help --- now if only I could get hubby to come help too!!!!

I had another thought about this post. HONESTLY!!! would you want someone to come home with you and help carry things in? It freaks me out when some of the clerks want to help me to my car!!!

I'm used to baggers loading my groceries in the car, it's a standard thing at most grocery stores here. And even when we do go to Wal-Mart, my husband does it for me. LOL. I try to help him, but he gets so aggravated with me that I quit helping. Him and my 10 yr old bring it in when we get home too, so all I have to worry about is getting the baby in & putting everything away.

Wow what a great idea for a business to start. Of course I hate putting away groceries. I bet people would even pay for that service

Speaking of bag boys/men.... do you ever go to a certain lane when you check out so that you can have 1 certain bagger? I do... There's this one guy, he's sorta slow about it, but when I get home to put groceries away it's SO easy. All of my frozen stuff is in 1 place. All the fridge stuff in another. And then pantry stuff seperated. I love that cuz my freezer is in the garage, pantry upstairs and fridge WAAAAAAY on the other side of the room. Saves me alot of running, plus keeping the frozen & cold stuff together helps save it for the long drive home.

And I HATE the teenaged baggers. It's like MY LORD! Have you never bought food and felt the fury of broken eggs, smashed bread and cans rolling across the yard???

When I'm asked if I need help out to the car I usually will reply no but you could sure help me out when I get home-----and it's true-----I hate unloading especally when the weather is pouring down rain, hot as hades, or cold (not that the latter is a real problem in Houston). Overseas in Kazakhstan the drivers help us up with the groceries (we're not allowed to drive ourselves) and no matter how much I tell them I can do it myself on the small items they insist on helping out. Women's lib is nyet here as far as that aspect is concerned. Wish I could bring them over here. Ha!

Speaking of bag boys/men.... do you ever go to a certain lane when you check out so that you can have 1 certain bagger? I do... There's this one guy, he's sorta slow about it, but when I get home to put groceries away it's SO easy. All of my frozen stuff is in 1 place. All the fridge stuff in another. And then pantry stuff seperated. I love that cuz my freezer is in the garage, pantry upstairs and fridge WAAAAAAY on the other side of the room. Saves me alot of running, plus keeping the frozen & cold stuff together helps save it for the long drive home.

And I HATE the teenaged baggers. It's like MY LORD! Have you never bought food and felt the fury of broken eggs, smashed bread and cans rolling across the yard???

I wish all bag boys/men were like your favorite guy. We do most of our grocery shopping at Wal-Mart because most of the actual grocery stores are small & seem to be going out of business since we got the second SuperCenter here. I do like two certain grocery stores though, I get most of my pantry goods from one because it's cheaper there, and the other always doubles coupons up to $1.

And yes, I've felt the fury of broken eggs & smashed bread... The cans rolling across the yard used to happen all the time because my daughter used to try to carry more than she should, & would drop everything. I tell the cashier at Wal-Mart, where we get our eggs usually, not to put anything in with the eggs. I don't care if that means more bags when we get home, I HATE broken eggs. The smashed bread isn't that big of a deal anymore, my hubby like smashed bread, so I eat the not-so-smashed parts of the loaf & let him have the rest. It works out perfectly for us.

Back