What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longest you've gone without cooking

D

DevilsCharm

What's the longest you've gone without cooking yourself or others a meal? I know people that can't go a day without cooking, but I can go weeks. Weeks! Sometimes I'll just cook a lot and I can live off that for awhile, also going out to eat, eating at other people's houses, and stealing food from various sources. So, what about you?

Sadly the longest I have ever been able to go without cooking would have to be a day. My husband hates eatting out and he won't cook so I got to keep him happy. ;)

Does being out of town count? Last year I was in Europe for 3 weeks for work, staying at a hotel. Needless to say I didn't cook during that time.

Also, at my busy times of the year at work sometimes I go for a week or two without cooking. There's just not enough time in the day (Trust me on this).

Hmm, I am seeing a common theme here.....

other than being out of town, when I had my babies, I didn't cook for about three or four weeks. People were so kind, bringing us food almost every night!

Over a decade, I wasn't cooking since I was born. Ha ha... but seriously, 3 and a half weeks.

geez, one day would be the longest, usually. But I think when I stayed in a hotel, that was 2 days I did not cook.

The longest for me is 2 days. That is because we ate out on both days. I have to cook every day. Most of the time all three meals or at least two.

Neither i nor DH really cooked the whole time i was pregnant except for french toast, smoothies, and pancakes. We lived off of trader joe's :).

The longest that I have ever gone without cooking would be a day or maybe two at the most I have a large family there are five of us so I have to cook alot, and I can't afford to eat out that much.

The longest was a month in Europe in a hotel and then almost 2 months last spring when the boys and I renovated my kitchen from the walls out. I had a microwave, a fridge, a coffee maker and a toaster. We used paper plates and paper cups. We were too dirty and tired everyday to go out to eat!

Probably like 5 days. Eating out gets old, and you just want something home made.

when im on vacation its really hard to cook yourself.

other then that, i cook everyday.

i think its really hard to find a consistant restaurant that always produce high quality food ... its like sometimes its great, other nights its horrible.

What's the longest you've gone without cooking yourself or others a meal? I know people that can't go a day without cooking, but I can go weeks. Weeks! Sometimes I'll just cook a lot and I can live off that for awhile, also going out to eat, eating at other people's houses, and stealing food from various sources. So, what about you?

Great question.....the longest for me was for the 6 months I spent in Turkey in the military.....it was horrible because there was just no way I could cook anything for myself besides MRE's or Ramen........

when I travel, it's usually for two months. not cooking, but soaking up as many recipes and tips from the local food where I am. loved visiting the spice markets in Istanbul and in Asia.

Was on crutches for 12 weeks last year, non-weightbearing. My apartment kitchen is so tiny it was almost impossilbe to cook much real food. Broiled an occassional piece of fish, made salads, and ate a lot of Lean Cuisines. Actually worked out fine since I had to really watch calories not being too active. But I was sure happy to get back to trying new recipes.

Nan

Wow Nan, Istanbul! What treasures and new things (spices) did you discover there? I can only imagine it was interesting, I have to just wonder as I'll probably never go there myself. I love watercolor paintings (do a little myself) and some of my favorite scenes are of open air markets, and vegeatble stands. They are such colorful places! Are there any spices over there that we do not have here?

Cathy

Istanbul is an amazing city. Loved the rest of the country. Will have to look for some photos to show you.
Best buy was saffron from Iran for under $10 an ounce. It is so beautiful and so good. That's what all my foodie friends got for Christmas.
I went in '99, would love to return, but my travel list is long.

How wonderful you paint!!! I too love watercolors, but have zero talent. Have a couple little prints in my kitchen of markets that a guy in Pike Street Market sells. Love them.

Nan

"saffron from Iran for under $10 an ounce"

Nobody likes a braggart in skirts, Nan. Especially since, due to a drought and other causes, saffron prices have soared again.

I just paid almost nine bucks for a 1-gram container. And that's for the Spanish. Persian just isn't available.

For those who can't do the math, there are roughly 28 grams in an ounce. So Nan's ten dollar purchase would now be $292.

Back