What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stone Soup Legend

W

Worker Bee

Not a recipe, but if you, like I, had ever wondered about the origin of "Stone Soup", read on... :)

Two beggars found themselves in a town where no one would stop to offer them anything. They tried all day, and come around to dinner time they were very hungry. One of them had an idea, so they found a large old pot, set up a fire, put some water on to cook and added a few clean stones. As passers-by were curious and asked what they were cooking, hey replied, "Stone soup." Stone soup? But certainly that can't taste very good? "Just delicious!" they replied. After a small crowd had gathered, they taste-tested the soup. "Coming along nicely," they said, "but it would be a mite better if we had some onions." "I have some onions I could spare!" cried someone in the crowd, and went to fetch them. The onions being added, they waited a few minutes more, taste-tested again, and stated that it certainly was very good, but could probably do to have a little potatoes added too. Another onlooker certainly could spare a few potatoes, as interested as they all were in this outcome, and potatoes were soon added.

So also were added, in due time, carrots and just a smidgen of meat. A couple more vegetables may have been added, but my recollection is a bit foggy...in due time, they pronounced the soup finished and everyone had a taste. All proclaimed it quite delicious, and were amazed that "stone soup" could possibly taste so good! The men ate their fill, and "shared" with all around. :)

Stone soup is the theme of a parable told in at least one synagogue and possibly in a children's book as well. The gist of the story involves everyone in the town/community/shtetl contributing something -- a carrot, potato, turnip, and so on -- to a pot of boiling water with a stone. The result was tasty, cheap and nutritious: stone soup.

Last edited:
Back