What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baked Cabbage from the Ukraine

Katiecooks

Ingredients:

1 small head of cabbage
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbls. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 C buttered bread crumbs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cut cabbage into small wedges, cook in boiling water for 6 minutes or until partially cooked but still crisp. Drain thoroughly. Sauts onion in butter in medium skillet until tender. Arrange the cabbage in layers in a butter baking dish; sprinkle each layer with onion, salt and pepper. Cover with sour cream and top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and/or crumbs are lightly browned. This is out of this world good!! :D

Katie, cooked the cabbage. But did do it my way. It was really good, everybody liked it. Here is what I did.
Boiled the cabbage wedges for 6 min. Drained and let cool.
Fry half pound bacon until crisp, chopped into bits.
Sauté onion in bacon fat, drain well, reserve half of the onions.
Cabbage with bacon and onions.
BaconOnion.jpg

For the topping:
I used panco bread crumbs, mixed in the rest of the sautéed onions, added 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed. Sour cream was mixed with chicken stock, 1/2 cup each. Then poured around the outside edge of the topping.
Ready for the oven.
BreadCurmbs.jpg

It sure does look delicious.....and tastes just as good as it looks!! What time's dinner? We'll be right over (down?) :)

I passed these improvements on to my son and he's delighted with them - says he'd love to join you in a kitchen and cook up a storm! He'd certainly have a ball! There's nothing he likes more than improvisational cooking. Me, I'm just a by-the-book type with little to no imagination. katie

Thanks y'all, it was kinda fun. I really hate to tell people I played with there recipe. Some folks don't like that. I just added the flavors that we like. Fat rules, we all know that. CF:)

Back