What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing the "heat" in Hot Tasting Things

Katiecooks

This was the weirdest thing that I've ever run into! Yesterday I made a salsa that included one seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper and the dressing included cilantro and cumen - which lent lots of "heat". I put the leftovers into a dish and set it into the fridge overnight. This morning my son stopped by and while cleaning out everything edible he could find he grabbed that dish of salsa........and complained loud and long that all the "heat" was gone! Zip! Is this possible - could chilling overnight have caused that? Who knew?:confused:

it's very possible that a person who eats a lot of hot foods has a tendency to need more hotness added to it in order to taste it

Thanks, Mama. That may be what the problem is with what Ian referred to as the "flat" salsa. We're talking about a fella who can (and very often does) eat jalapeno peppers straight out of hand. Also chili peppers and his eyes don't even water! Amazing - and occasionally disgusting..................... :D

Back