What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hot-Mild Barbecue Beef

Katiecooks

Ingredients:

3 to 4 pound round bottom roast
water
1 C chopped onion
2 tbls. oil
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tbls. vinegar
3 tbls. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
red pepper to taste
3 tbls. brown sugar, packed
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 16-oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. molasses
1/4 C ketchup

Directions:

Roast meat, covered, in pan filled 1/4 fill of water, approximately 4 hours or until fork tender. In a large pan, saute onion in oil. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove meat from pan and shred into small pieces. Add the meat to the sauce and mix well. Cook, covered, over low heat for about 30 minutes. Add more water if necessary. Serve on onion rolls with a side of sweet potato fries and some homemade cole slaw for a wonderfully tasty, kid-friendly meal. :)

Name change?

BBQ, not. BBQ flavored boiled beef, OK.
Needs some liquid smoke, (yuck)
This might be tasty, yeah I would try it. But it isn't Bar-B-Que, in the Southern tradition. I guess I am a purest about some things. CF:D

Ok, CF, calm your head and face and breath through your nose before you get apoplectic!! I'm not responsible for the name of that particular recipe - it was given to me by a friend who lives in Georgia and that's what she called it.
We thought it tasted pretty good, especially with the sweet potato fries and cole slaw but what do Yankees know, anyway? :)

OK, I am calm, breathing better.
I to think it would taste good, I just like the real thing.
(Quote) it was given to me by a friend who lives in Georgia. Dang I was expecting New York City. :D

The Real Thing
TherealThing.jpg

Ooh! Now that looks wonderful! That's the real McCoy (or Hatfield?) type barbeque! If it will take some of the insult out of Pam's recipe (as a matter of fact, she is originally from New York, "southern" tier) I'll tell you exactly what Ian and I did with what we made. We followed Pam's recipe to the letter up to the point of removing the beef roast from the oven. Then we put it out on the barbie and basted it in home grown barbeque sauce for a while. That was my suggestion when I noticed my son's nose turning up slightly! After we'd made Pam's sauce (which was darn good, I must add) we continued on with the recipe as written. It really was good, CF, no lie! But just so you'll know, Ian agrees with you wholeheartedly and I still think you're both a couple of BBQ snobs!! After all, I'm from Cornwall, England - how am I supposed to know how to "really" barbeque things? My idea of barbequed chicken is to plop it on the grill and slather it with bottled sauce. Ian just about dies! He's insufferable - complete with his soon-to-come Le Cordon Bleu diploma!! But I'll bet neither one of you could cook a decent spotted dick!! At least not without questioning what it actually is....................... :D

Ian, hang in there. You gonna do good.
Katie sounds like you made your dish come out OK. I just knew that recipe had to come out of New York. Although you know this is just jokingly spoken.
I have eaten and cooked some strange things. My wife is from Syria, what does that tell you, yep strange stuff.
On one of the BBQ forums I am on, we do have several members from Scotland and England. They are cooking some nice looking "Q".
And no I can not cook a spotted dick, And no I don't know what it is. But it might be really good. I will be looking it up. CF:)

Good evening - One of these days you'll have to share some of your wife's recipes! I'm sure they're differently cooked and seasoned in ways with which we're not too familiar - but I'll bet they're really good, too. As to spotted dick, if you should find a suitable recipe, just don't select one that doesn't include the suet....(some folks make it without and it's pretty flat). It's a stubbornly British steamed pudding ('tho it can be baked and some people do it that way, but it's simply not quite as good) full of currents or raisins (hence, the "spotted" portion of the name). I've absolutely no idea from where the balance of the name was derived although there are numerous suggestions - some of them even printable! But it's delicious - usually served with custard surrounding it and berries for garnish, and I've made it many times for my crew. If Ian likes it less than some, keep in mind that this is a fella who eats chille peppers right out of the garden - nothing as especially "bland" as an English pudding suits him! If you think others wouldn't be offended by the name, I'll one day post a recipe for this pudding on the forum and see what folks think of it. Squirreled away, in my grandmother's old cookbook there's a recipe for it, which is the one I use. In the meantime, you could post a barbeque sauce recipe, provided you're willing to share. Now that would be a real treat! :)

Last edited:
Yes, indeed, my offspring will love such a recipe as that! You know, it's so funny how parents always see their kids as "little kids" or "offspring" all their lives, even if they're 6' 5" tall and are 29-years-old! My kids just hate it when I refer to them that way......but they're still my babies! Anyway, the recipe you found is absolutely the right thing - the real MaGilla (that's Irish for McCoy, I think) and if you ever get around to actually making one you and your family will become addicted. I ask again, should I post it on this forum? What do you think? Could always call it "Spotted Dog" which is another name by which it's often called in England and Ireland. :D

Back