What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breakfast of champions

Ian M.

You'll love this old favorite:

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter

In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, flour and salt and beat until fluffy and smooth.
Put 2 tablespoons of butter in each of two pie pans and melt as oven preheats. Pour half of the batter in each pie pan and bake at 450F for 20 minutes. Pancakes will puff up. Serve with warm syrup, warmed jam or warmed fruit.

Looks good from here. Got it copied. I may do that this morning. About 10:00 O'Clock. I am going for the syrup. Kinda busy right now, got a 9# pork butt in the smoker and 15# of figs cooking. CF:)

What do you do with the figs? Sounds interesting. The only ones I've seen other than at school have been pretty green in the market.

Fig preserves, 1# figs to 1 cup sugar. I cook them down until the syrup is just the way I like it (thick). Ladle into pint jars and water bath for 5 min. They can be eaten as most any fruit preserves can. You can also make a sweet sauce for pork or chicken. They have just finished cooking, will post photos when the have cooled. CF:)

Winner Winner

I was in shock when I opened the oven. This is really a pretty dish. I think after baking it could be filled with something savory. Served as a main course. I had some fig syrup left from the preserves, It went very well with this Champion. I only made 1/2 of the recipe. Not knowing what it is supposed to look like. Here is what I finished with.CF:)
Ian's Breakfast of Champions
ChampionBreakfast-1.jpg

CF, that's exactly what it's supposed to look like. And yours looks beautiful.
This is kind of a breakfast style Yorkshire pudding and filling it with stuff is a great idea. Mum usually uses creamed chicken and things like that for her ladies meetings and I like to put fruit in the middle of mine. Anything works.
I didn't find this photo until early this morning and what a nice surprise!
I had an idea just now. How about putting pepperoni and tomato sauce and cheese in the middle and turning it into a Limey Pizza? Can't feature how that would work out but worth a try?

Ian

Ian. this will defiantly be a regular at our house.I am thinking Wow, what possibility's. I am not much of a pizza fan but can see it working. Creamed anything sounds intriguing. I am thinking chicken with vegetables.
Do you ever add anything to the recipe, like herbs or spice? CF:)

Oh yeah. Just about any herbs I can lay hands on. My mother and I are both basil freaks and I always chop some up and add it to just about everything I bake. Soups, too and all other things where it'll work. I once considered adding a touch of curry powder to this recipe but decided that would be a little too far out. What do you thnk?

Ian

Ian, I don't think anything is to far out until tried. Weird stuff sometimes turns out pretty good. I do lots of things that are, now: that didn't work. (Like my corn flakes) One never knows. CF:)

Back