What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the BEST Thing You Do With Corn?

chubbyalaskagriz

This time of year most regions are savoring fresh ears of seasonal sweet corn- and loving it!

What fun ways do you use corn in your kitchen?

I love corn folded into mashed potatoes and blended w/ rich salty parmesan cheese. A large nest of these on a plate or in a bowl are the perfect "raft" for a piece of grilled salmon, chicken or pork. The creamy satisfying texture of the potatoes w/ the tender nuggets of golden corn deliver loads of fun taste to a dish almost everybody loves already- try it!

As a kid I would always mix my corn with my mashed taters - but as a lady - and having proper table manners -
I still try to sneak it in there! LOL

I have two favorites.
#1 Trim corn but leave shuck on and grill until tender. Remove shucks, back on the grill for some char.
Slather with mayo, sprinkle with Chile powder and Parmesan cheese.
#2 Cut corn from cob, scrape each cob to save all the corn milk. Add butter to a large cast iron skillet, add corn. Medium heat, cook until almost dry. Add salt and lots of black pepper. Adding a little milk or cream while cooking also is good. Did I say lots of butter, makes it even better. CF:)
I never boil corn on the cob, I think all the flavor is left in the water.

Nancy, I do mine just like I was cooking for a meal. I freeze in vacuum bags.
Clean and cut corn from cob, scrape cob to get all the juice. At this point I bag and freeze. You can also freeze the whole ear, shuck and all. I cut the tips and stem end, put 4 ears to a bag and seal. CF

I've seen cornbread recipes usinf creamed corn. I've also seen folks add it to mashed potatoes. My Mom used to bake it in a glass dish w/ crumbled saltines and a drizzle of butter on top.

creamed corn - I use it in cornbread/corn muffins, corn soup, I've used it as a "gravy" over mashed potatoes when I make breaded chicken pieces (I don't like gravy on breaded chicken), make succotash,

1 stick margarine
16 oz. canned corn or frozen corn
16 oz. canned cream corn
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
16 oz. sour cream
salt and pepper

Mix together and bake, uncovered, at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes in 1 quart casserole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup oil
2 cups milk

Mix together.
You may need a little more flour. Butter skillet heavily then make like pancakes; brown on both sides.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any recipes for creamed corn? I have TONS of it that needs to be used up.

If you have a favorite corn muffin recipe, add a can of creamed corn to the recipe. Bake until you can pull a clean toothpick from it. If you have ever been to Chi Chi's Mexican restaurant, this is very much like their Fiesta Sweet Corn Bread.

Add some dice really fine onion to the same mix, and it is an excellent fritter batter. If you don't have a corn fritter griddle, you can make them like a pan cake.

Just a side note, when I was a kid, I use to eat cream corn served over toast points as you would with SOS, creamed beef or even creamed tuna. With 7 brothers and sisters, something so simple that we all liked.

Last edited:
IC - I used to also eat creamed corn over toast points! and I love it as a "gravy" on my taters or veggies. I just bought 12 cans for making soups and just eating like the old days!

Back