What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kentucky Lemon Chess Pie w/photo

ChileFarmer

This pie is a great one, super easy and super good. CF:)

Kentucky Lemon Chess Pie
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon yellow corn meal
1 large lemons
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
plain pastry for a 9" pie

PREPARATION:
Cream the butter and sugar well. Add the cornmeal. Grate and juice the lemon. Beat in the lemon juice, rind, then the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and salt. Pour into the pie shell and bake at 325° or until the center is set.
Kentucky Lemon Chess Pie
Kentucky.JPG

Mama, not just because I made it. But I believe that is one of the best pies I have ever eaten. The lemon slices didn't add much. Just looked nice. Doing it over, I would cut the lemon slices in half, and put them on the out side. Leaving the center open. Thanks. CF

Would you be offended if I were to ask you to make this pie one more time but to make an slight adjustment to it?

Substitute orange for the lemon - and call me! I love orange pies too!

Gotta revive this post. Is this a prepared pie shell or did you have to make it? Also you said to bake it at 325 until set. About how long before you check to see if it is set and do you do that by sticking a toothpick in it? Sorry about all the questions CF but I'm very dessert challenged.

Last edited:
The pie was very good, I would not put the slices on the pie again. Although they look nice other than that they added nothing.
The pie crust was a frozen crust unbaked. As with most custard pies I cook by look and the way it is beginning to set the custard. I give it a little shake when I think its getting ready, It should Jiggle just a little. After it cools it will be firmer.
I start checking it after it starts to brown on top. CF:)

Back