What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool Site--Free Stuff

E

expatgirl

Hey, Everybody,

There is a site, http://www.freecycle.org, that you can go to and get and or receive free items. The only stipulation is that the item be free, legal, and age appropriate. There are freecycle groups all over the US as well as overseas. They were formed in an effort to eliminate useful items from being put in landfills and thus saving our environments.

yeah, i am subscribe to freecyclejapan, it's a good way to get and give free items. The only cost you will incur is shipping cost. If you are living in Japan or gonna live there for awhile, you can join this group at freecyclejapan@yahoogroups.com

Freecycle is a hoot. Someone's always giving away something wacky, like two cinder blocks or a broken window shade.

Freecycle is a hoot. Someone's always giving away something wacky, like two cinder blocks or a broken window shade.

LOL I'm not familiar with this -- I'll have to check it out, if for nothing else but entertaiment value. :) There is also something called (I think) Book Passage in which you release your books "to the universe" for someone else to enjoy. You are supposed to post what location you are in and where you placed the book and the title, etc. I was tempted to place one on a ench in the park across the street from me and watch to see if anyone picked it up. Never did, though. I always amass a pile and then donate them to charity book sales, etc.

I was tempted to place one on a ench in the park across the street from me and watch to see if anyone picked it up. Never did, though. I always amass a pile and then donate them to charity book sales, etc.

The park-bench idea sounds like a neat idea for a little documentary or a fun website. Sorta like those people who kidnapped a neighbor's garden gnome statue and took photos of it on its travels across the country and mailed them back to the owners? (this was before the travelocity gnome)

LOL I'm not familiar with this -- I'll have to check it out, if for nothing else but entertaiment value. :) There is also something called (I think) Book Passage in which you release your books "to the universe" for someone else to enjoy. You are supposed to post what location you are in and where you placed the book and the title, etc. I was tempted to place one on a ench in the park across the street from me and watch to see if anyone picked it up. Never did, though. I always amass a pile and then donate them to charity book sales, etc.

Dear Worker Bee,
My park bench is located at Kingwood, Texas and I will provide you with a video of me picking them up with a great big smile on my face and I will leave you with a pile of my books!!!!!!!

Checked out that site, waiting on membership to be approved so I can check it out.

Dear Worker Bee,
My park bench is located at Kingwood, Texas and I will provide you with a video of me picking them up with a great big smile on my face and I will leave you with a pile of my books!!!!!!!

This sounds great, expatgirl -- will you provide my plane ticket to Texas? Haven't been there for years and I promise to bring you books and volumes enough to fill a library. They'll all be embossed with my bookplate "Purloined From The Private Collection of <name inserted here>". :)

Let me know!

THANKS, Workerbee!!!!!

YOu might want to wait until November to come unless you enjoy saunas--the weather is so hot and humid now-----it might curl the pages of all thosee wonderful books.

Is it the same as Book Crossing? LOL if it is, this is a really cool club. I have only one book registered and I havent released it yet and I've forgotten about it until I saw this post. *embarassed*:)

Thank you for this information. I will be using this website from now on. This is a good concept. great information

Is it the same as Book Crossing? LOL if it is, this is a really cool club. I have only one book registered and I havent released it yet and I've forgotten about it until I saw this post. *embarassed*:)

Hi Clara! Yes, you are right -- it is Book Crossing. My mind drew a blank when I tried to recall the correct name. It's a neat concept! Have you picked up anyone elses "releases"? I haven't done either...yet. :)

THANKS, Workerbee!!!!!

YOu might want to wait until November to come unless you enjoy saunas--the weather is so hot and humid now-----it might curl the pages of all thosee wonderful books.

I will heed your advice, expatgirl. I'll come when it's less humid, you're feeling up to cooking, and it's Amradillo off-season too. LOL :) They might nibble on the books. Not dog-eared pages but Armadillo-eared ones. Ah, I must need some sleep. LOL

Have I got a deal for you!!!

I will heed your advice, expatgirl. I'll come when it's less humid, you're feeling up to cooking, and it's Amradillo off-season too. LOL :) They might nibble on the books. Not dog-eared pages but Armadillo-eared ones. Ah, I must need some sleep. LOL

LOL!!!!!!! Worker Bee, I really ought to send you a ticket to Kazakhstan where I return to next Saturday. My hubby tells me that he needs a jacket at night and that it only gets up to the 70's--low 80's during the heat of the day. It was a lot warmer last summer------hope this doesn't mean it's going to be a colder winter than last year as it got down to the -40's!!!!!!!! Books in English are VERY expensive over there and I actually saw a Reader's Digest priced at $15.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So your plane ticket would be nothing. And you wouldn't have to worry about armadillo meat------just hope that you have a fancy and hankering for Mr. Ed as horsemeat is in season ALL year! Ha!!

LOL!!!!!!! Worker Bee, I really ought to send you a ticket to Kazakhstan where I return to next Saturday. My hubby tells me that he needs a jacket at night and that it only gets up to the 70's--low 80's during the heat of the day. It was a lot warmer last summer------hope this doesn't mean it's going to be a colder winter than last year as it got down to the -40's!!!!!!!! Books in English are VERY expensive over there and I actually saw a Reader's Digest priced at $15.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So your plane ticket would be nothing. And you wouldn't have to worry about armadillo meat------just hope that you have a fancy and hankering for Mr. Ed as horsemeat is in season ALL year! Ha!!

It's frequently -40 (celcius) here in the winter expatgirl. Strange though it may seem, I'm used to it so when it's the other extreme as was the case this summer, I find it oppressive.

Kazakhstan??? Well, why not? I've got to get outside of my comfort zone. If I stick around here long enough I may even be eating items from the "Unusual Foods" thread. :eek:

Now, I don't want to be an ingrate and offend my hosts, but Mr. Ed's not happening. Not on my plate, anyway. LOL

How do you occupy yourself while there? I hope you'll share some of your experiences with us.

Thanks for the link. I love free stuff. I like to check out Slick-deals.net because they have free stuff on there sometimes.

I love using freecycle to get rid of things, and I got a VCR from there too. There are some wacky listings though!

It's frequently -40 (celcius) here in the winter expatgirl. Strange though it may seem, I'm used to it so when it's the other extreme as was the case this summer, I find it oppressive.

Kazakhstan??? Well, why not? I've got to get outside of my comfort zone. If I stick around here long enough I may even be eating items from the "Unusual Foods" thread. :eek:

Now, I don't want to be an ingrate and offend my hosts, but Mr. Ed's not happening. Not on my plate, anyway. LOL

How do you occupy yourself while there? I hope you'll share some of your experiences with us.

Oh, I have LOTS of stories that I will be happy to share with all of you. I'll save the funny Polar Bear Club stories when I have pictures to send along with them----you won't believe some of the things they do around here. It's really a nice country with a lot of very young enthusiastic people. The working women are an amazing group unto themselves and the literacy rate is in the 90th percentile. Amazing for a country that is considered 3rd world by some of our standards. Many children are being taught Kazakh, Russian, AND English. It's a country that the oil industry is keeping an eye on as they have huge reserves and a very stable government. Not the case in the Mideast, I'm afraid.

ya it's good site. thank you. can you tell me where do u find it.

Back