What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoon Biscuits

Ian M.

These biscuits are easy to make...about 15 minutes from start to finish and super easy to put together. As well, they're light, flakey and delicious!

I cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons of mayonaise

Mix all ingredients together and drop by spoonsful on prepared cooking sheet. I've found that using aluminum foil works really well for these.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes until golden. They're terrific. We love to split them open and pour some red rag gravy over them for a yummy Sunday brunch. For anyone who doesn't know, red rag gravy is creamed chipped beef. Soooooooo good. Some folks call it SOS.

OK, yeah I am back here at SP.(for now) I am thinking that it might be a better place now. That the spamers and other things are gone.
Biscuits and gravy, you know that is my kind of food. CF:)

I could go for some spoon biscuits. Easier than cutting in, rolling out and all that floury mess on the board. And, yeah, gotta have the gravy.

I could go for some spoon biscuits. Easier than cutting in, rolling out and all that floury mess on the board. And, yeah, gotta have the gravy.

Hello yoyo1198 - I found it interesting and gratifying that the two recipes to which you responded belonged to my late mother, Katiecooks, and to me. Both in the same day. My mum has been gone from us for a couple of years, now - she passed away shortly following the unfortunate demise of this particular forum, as a matter of fact. Yes, CF, this might be a good place to come back to without the former problems we all had to put up with, and with new management. I hope it works out for all concerned. Let's just hope that some of the "problems" don't renew their interest in returning...............

Oh, Ian, I'm so sorry about your mom having gone. I didn't know of course. I really didn't pay any attention to who had posted the recipes. They just caught my eye.

Oh, Ian, I'm so sorry about your mom having gone. I didn't know of course. I really didn't pay any attention to who had posted the recipes. They just caught my eye.

Hi, YoYo - Not to worry - I was very flattered that you commented on both my recipe and my Mum's as well.
Of coarse you wouldn't have had any way of knowing that Katiecooks was my mother nor that she had passed away - I was just so delighted to see one of her recipes pop up like that when I least expected it. Kind of a blast from the past for my wife and me both. We miss her so much and it's so nice to see that her love of baking lives on without her Thanks for your interest in her bread and my spoon biscuits - they're really handy little critters, incidently. Just pop them into the oven and in just moments they're ready, all lovely and hot and steamy with some jam or jelly or honey and plenty of butter. Really good stuff. Eating way more of them then I ought to has visably expanded my horizons and my waistline!

Ian M.

Ian, pleased to see you here. I haven't made the biscuits yet but will Soon. They sound easy and tasty. I never use self-rising flour but can adapt it. Wishing I had some right now.
I did bake a loaf of beer bread yesterday YoYo got me wanting to bake again. CF:)

I made a beer bread and it certainly was different. My only drawback was that with just one person eating on it, it started going bad too soon. Hmmmm......think I'll try it again now that you mention it.

YoYo, its an OK bread but not the best I have ever eaten. Makes good toast though. Just had some for breakfast. I want to do some of the more artisan type breads. You know just to see if I like them and the wife has to like them also. Fun stuff. CF:)

YoYo, its an OK bread but not the best I have ever eaten. Makes good toast though. Just had some for breakfast. I want to do some of the more artisan type breads. You know just to see if I like them and the wife has to like them also. Fun stuff. CF:)

Good morning CF. I've made beer bread a couple of times and find that it freezes well for keeping until a later time. My wife (the family baker) makes many types of artisan bread and they're all delicious! I've been trying my hand at some different things lately - made some Parker House original recipe rolls the other day and would have to say that they are really, really delicious and a total pain to make. There is so much rather nuisance fiddling you have to do with them. But they're worth the effort in the end for the fabulous, buttery taste of them. Trouble was, one of the things you have to do with them is to fold the rounds double and then dip them in melted butter prior to baking them and mine persisted in "unfolding" after being dipped. Made for some funny-looking rolls........

Fallon has made some mighty tasty artisan bread that I believe she once posted the recipe for elsewhere. I'll see if I can't get her to join up here and post it again. Delicious bread and the unbaked bread "starter" stays viable in the fridge for a while - longer than I'd have thought possible before I saw her do it. Really excellent bread. Uses two packages of yeast, I recall, and when proofing, it literally climbs out of the bowl and has to be captured and put back where it belongs. Fun stuff to work with.

CF, we're still having our poker night gatherings from the resort staff and I'll have to post some of the recipes that periodically show up on poker nights. Some interesting and tasty things have emerged from all the kitchen staff. We're all interns and learning as we go and we can all see the progress we've made in the imagination that comes out on poker nights! The other night one of the guys had somehow gotten ahold of a knockoff of the hash brown casserole that Cracker Barrel Restuarants makes and he made it with some sausage for our dinner that night and it was out of this world. I'll see if he's willing to share his recipe and post it here, if he does. I can't remember ever eating anything that tasted better than that did! Or perhaps I can get him to join up here and post it himself, along with some of the other good things he produces. He's one of the best at the resort! He got pretty badly beat up on from a foodie forum once and, like my wife, it's made him pretty reluctant to ever try one again. But I told him this one is a good one and you're the top chef here - good management on that basis...so perhaps they both will join up. I hope so.

Ian:D

Ian, hope they do join, new food and recipes along with different ways to do things is always fun. I like trying new ways to cook. I do make some of those (lets not do that again) but its always fun to try.
As you know I control nothing on this site, lets just hope we can remember we are all different. But what ever we cook doesn't make it right or wrong, just different.

Just for grins, I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong but wasn't. :D CF:)

I never use self-rising flour but can adapt it.

As a heart patient I don't go near self-rising flour. Didn't have that much fun with congestive heart failure the first time. However, it's easy enough to adapt around it with All Purpose flour and featherweight baking powder. BTW nice to see people on this forum again. Thanks for directing me back to it CF.

As a heart patient I don't go near self-rising flour. Didn't have that much fun with congestive heart failure the first time. However, it's easy enough to adapt around it with All Purpose flour and featherweight baking powder. BTW nice to see people on this forum again. Thanks for directing me back to it CF.

Hi, jp.....we're giving it another go. I don't think I've heard of featherweight baking powder. I just use the regular stuff. I do not use self rising flour.

The salt in most baking comes from the baking powder. Self rising is nothing more then flour with the baking powder already in there, plus more salt. Featherweight baking powder is distributed my "Healthy Heart" market and has no sodium at all. So if you're a heart patient get some. If you're not don't worry about it.

Back