What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could use a little help with biscuit recipe!

jpshaw

This is how I started. The baking powder is Featherweight and the butter is Unsalted to work with my heart condition but everyone else can use normal. BTW I make my own milk from non-dairy Coffee Creamer to cut down on the sodium also.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 Pkt Splenda
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1 stick (4oz) of butter
2/3 cup milk

Stir in the first 4 ingredients. Cut in the butter till consistant. Add the milk and knead on floured board until mixed. Roll to 1/2" and cut to size. I use a tomato sauce can. Bake at 450 for 10 to 12 minutes.

These are fine but not as tall and flaky as I would like. Started leaving them thicker and that helped some. Any suggestions appreciated.

I think I got it. I just used a tad more cream of tarter but the main thing is not rolling them out to 1/2" but leaving them at least 3/4" or even a bit more.

JP, this recipe calls for yeast. Maybe adding yeast to your recipe might help.
This recipe has some salt, But it might work to leave it out. Me Just thinking. CF:)

ANGEL BISCUITS

5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt-------------------Maybe leave out the salt?
2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in shortening. Dissolve yeast in warm water, then add to buttermilk. Stir liquid into flour mixture until well moistened. Roll dough on a floured surface to 1/2-inch thick. Cut with 2- or 3-inch cookie cutter. Place on an 11 x 15-inch sheet. Cover and let double in size. Makes a large batch. Bake 12 minutes at 400°. Dough will keep for several days in the refrigerator, covered. These are an unusually light and fluffy biscuit.

Would have to replace the buttermilk with liquid Coffee Mate and find some low sodium baking soda. Low sodium is a pain. This would make one large batch of biscuits though.

I think I've got mine worked out now. Used a bit more cream of tarter and left them 3/4 to 1" thick before cutting them.

Pleased it came together for you. I don't know whats in non dairy creamer. wife uses it in her coffee,
Have you ever tried the almond or soy milk? I have not. Just wondering your thoughts. CF

Non dairy creamer is made mostly from corn. Only the "Original" is sodium free and all the flavored ones such as almond have more sodium then whole milk does so it's off my list. Soy milk, unfortunately, also has as much sodium as whole milk too.

Back