What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual food

S

shabs

This thread is for listing food items which are eaten in some parts of the world but may be unusual for you or your place.

My list is -
frogs
snakes
grasshoppers
monkey brain
bats
yuckkkkkk

Alligator. I've had fried alligator; it's quite tasty.

Have you really? I'm not so adventurous. What would you compare the taste to? I'm drawing a blank as to something I've eaten in past that would be considered unusual. I love Ecargot which some people think is slimy and not very appealing but that's quite "mainstream". :)

This thread is for listing food items which are eaten in some parts of the world but may be unusual for you or your place.

My list is -
frogs
snakes
grasshoppers
monkey brain
bats
yuckkkkkk

Yuck to all of the above. :) And yet, to those who consume such "delicacies", it's perfectly mundane, I would think. When I heard about chocolate covered insects I was immediately squeemish, myself. :eek:

A few years ago it was very trendy to eat "edible flowers". While this isn't particularly unusual, really, I didn't understand the appeal. There are so many things to eat I've never had a desire to sprinkle some flowers on my greens. Some say they are aesthetically pleasing. I prefer mine in a vase, on the table, not on my plate. :)

I can't think what it tastes like really, but it's not really a different taste.

Alligator is a Cajun thing - if you have a Pappadeaux or some other Cajun restaurant in the area, they will likely serve it.

A few years ago it was very trendy to eat "edible flowers". While this isn't particularly unusual, really, I didn't understand the appeal. There are so many things to eat I've never had a desire to sprinkle some flowers on my greens. Some say they are aesthetically pleasing. I prefer mine in a vase, on the table, not on my plate. :)

What kind of flowers were they? Here in Indian people do eat some kind of rose petals. But there are specific kind of breed of rose which is edible not any.:)

hmm, Monitor Lizard? Armadillo, locust, python, dog??? ewww,Spicy Paniki(bat),tortoise, live octupus, beetle.

What kind of flowers were they? Here in Indian people do eat some kind of rose petals. But there are specific kind of breed of rose which is edible not any.:)

I'm not sure about all the flowers. I know some were violets. Of course people have been using candies/sugared violets to decorate cakes and things for years. I remember salads with flowers sprinkled on top were all the rage for a while. Oh! Now I remember -- nasturtiums were another one.

Interestingly, you mention specific breeds of edible roses. I've always wondered how it is people know exactly which items are edible. I say this because there is a man (elderly man) in my neighbourhood who goes around every fall with a very long pole. He uses the pole to reach up into trees and remove the largest mushroom caps I have ever seen. They are the size of a dinner plate, I kid you not. Everyone watching him is perplexed but he must know what he's doing. He's still alive and well. LOL

fried pickles

Do people really eat fried pickles? I'm not familiar with this. I love pickles and am wondering now, what theyd taste like breaded or battered and fried. Is this how it's done?

hmm, Monitor Lizard? Armadillo, locust, python, dog??? ewww,Spicy Paniki(bat),tortoise, live octupus, beetle.

What?? Dogs? I never heard that dogs are eaten. Which part of the world are they eaten? Oh yes I can recall now. I saw a documentary on tv about some tribe eating dogs on some special ocassion. Is that you are talking about?

Fried pickles if made right are delicious!!!!!!! And the only place where I've been told that might serve dog meat is in Korea------don't know if that's true but we ate at a Korean restaurant in Cairo and the going joke was that noone saw any stray dogs in the area. Ha! I happen to love Korean food, by the way!!

Fried pickles if made right are delicious!!!!!!! And the only place where I've been told that might serve dog meat is in Korea------don't know if that's true but we ate at a Korean restaurant in Cairo and the going joke was that noone saw any stray dogs in the area. Ha! I happen to love Korean food, by the way!!

Oh, you are so bad. I enjoy it too. Or maybe that was past
tense. :)

So I have a question now -- your hosts with whom you are not well acquainted put a variety of dishes in front of you one of which contains an "unusual" ingredient (which I will leave up to your imagination). In the interest of proper protocol, do you sample these dishes, or does your squeemishness dictate? :)

You can probably guess my response and I think I can guess expatgirl's.

Worker bee it depends on what that "unusual" ingredient is. :)

Last edited:
Same here-----I will try and be polite to my hosts and sample all that is prepared but if it looks especially revolting or has an unusual smell, no way-----it's far ruder to gag in public and my dentist will assure you that I have the most developed gag reflex he's ever seen. Ha!! I usually ask my guests ahead of time if they like certain dishes or is there anything that they can't eat and I'm glad that I have-------I'm amazed at the number of people who don't like shellfish or seafood. When asked myself, as we know many Brits, I tell them anything except organ meats and lamb. So that's a good way for people not to be embarrassed.

Do people really eat fried pickles? I'm not familiar with this. I love pickles and am wondering now, what theyd taste like breaded or battered and fried. Is this how it's done?

Battered------and fried jalapenos and sliced green tomatos are tasty, too.

What?? Dogs? I never heard that dogs are eaten. Which part of the world are they eaten? Oh yes I can recall now. I saw a documentary on tv about some tribe eating dogs on some special ocassion. Is that you are talking about?

You've never heard? Japan (or maybe it's China...) is infamous for it's eating of dogs. I think they eat cats too.

You've never heard? Japan (or maybe it's China...) is infamous for it's eating of dogs. I think they eat cats too.

Im not sure about Japan or China but here in the Philippines, dogs are eaten especially the stray ones. Even if there is a law now that prohibits eating dogs, some are still practicing it. :mad:

And yeah cats are eaten too, some say they put them in siopao or Mantou in China or just steamed bun. They say that instead of filling of pork or chicken meat, they use cat's meat instead

Back