Nov 12  # 1 of 19
A friend and I were discussing wether or not we glaze our meatloaf. She told me she does not, and I do. My fiance' does not, my mother does! Funny how the same dish can be perpared so many different ways, and yet still be good no matter how it is prepared.

So do you glaze? And if so how do you make your glaze? And when do you place it over your meatloaf?

My glaze is simply ketchup, brown sugar, and a little mustard stirred together and placed atop the meatloaf 15 min.'s before taking it out of the oven. It is a tasty addition. But I love meatloaf that is unglazed as well:p
Nov 12  # 2 of 19
I always glaze my meatloaf. I think this keeps it from getting dry especially since I mold mine in a loaf pan and then turn it out onto a cookie sheet. This is a recipe I make over and over. It calls for buffalo but I've also made it with ground venison and it's delicious.

1 pound baby Yukon Gold or Dutch yellow potatoes
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided

1 1/2 cups chopped crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
1 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

1 pound ground buffalo meat
1 large egg
3/4 cup tomato sauce, divided

1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

1 garlic clove, pressed
2 5-ounce bags fresh spinach

PreparationPreheat oven to 375°F. Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil in medium bowl. Place on 13x9-inch rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt. Roast 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté until mushrooms are beginning to brown and onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; mix in sage and thyme. Cool slightly.

Mix buffalo, mushroom mixture, egg, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, panko, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Push potatoes to sides of baking sheet; shape buffalo mixture into 6x3-inch loaf in center of sheet. Roast 30 minutes. Combine 1/4 cup tomato sauce and red pepper in small bowl. Pour over top of meatloaf. Roast 20 minutes longer. Remove from oven; let rest while preparing spinach.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in large pot over medium-high heat. Add spinach, and toss until wilted, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Slice meatloaf; serve potatoes and spinach alongside.

*Available in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets.
Nov 12  # 3 of 19
Wow this sounds delicious, Jfain is the Buffalo meat alot leaner than ground round? I do not think I could find it here, so I would most likely have to use Gr. Round.
Nov 12  # 4 of 19
Yes it is much leaner. I hardly ever eat ground beef. I usually substitute in recipes that call for it with buffalo, venison or ostrich. I'm all about eating what I want with out being fat or unhealthy. People are always amazed that I eat so much and stay so skinny but it really is just all about eating low fat and exercising.
Nov 12  # 5 of 19
Sometimes I glaze with the ketchup and brown sugar, etc. but most of the time the requested way of making it is covered with tomato soup. That is a big favorite here - a good-sized spoon of condensed tomato soup (in place of tomato sauce, etc.) in the meat mixture and the rest slightly diluted with water and poured over.