Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prime Rib Roast

Mauve Guest

Wink

CC, thank you for the welcome.
    Looking forward to everyones great ideas
    and cooking suggestions.

The Ironic Chef is offline Master Chef

Mauve, I have really enjoyed the SP. There are some great people here. It's nice to have a place to come and hang out and enjoy good company. It's really nice to meet you.

Cathy, your very welcome.Just remember to soak your wood chips. fruit type woods are really nice for pork. Like apple, lol.

Mauve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Ironic Chef View Post
    Mauve, I have really enjoyed the SP. There are some great people here. It's nice to have a place to come and hang out and enjoy good company. It's really nice to meet you.

Cathy, your very welcome.Just remember to soak your wood chips. fruit type woods are really nice for pork. Like apple, lol.
    Thank you Ironic Chef. This seems like a great place
    to get some good ideas. Would you believe I just discovered
    pickling spices this week. All this time, and I knew nothing about McCormick (of course) pickling spices. Finally, my pickled eggs taste like I like them, tangy & Sweet. Does this
    sound like one of those Duh moments. : ) You guys/gals have
    been great. Thanks again.

Cook Chatty Cathy is offline Master Chef

Mauve I just discovered a few new things myself and I have been cooking FOREVER it seems! I am 52, Mother of 3, Granmother of 5, and I have been cooking steadily since I was 18 yrs old, and still I discover and learn new things in the world of food each passing year. Just about 6-7 yrs ago I discovered Middle Eastern cusine and then only a year or so ago discovered Moroccan cusine, each have their own unique spices they employ with new tastes and textures and it's so exciting to discover new foods and I enjoy it. As I read your post I was thinking about all the joy of discovery in the world of FOOD!!!! And just so you will know we never think DUH, because we all learned just as you have in steps [one at a time!}

Mauve Guest

Cook Cathy, Great post. While watching a cooking show, I noticed
    they were talking about a BRINE. Another discovery for me. Pork chops
    in a brine left in the refrig for two days then grilled. Have you ever tried this? How do you think this would work for a pork roast?

The Ironic Chef is offline Master Chef

Mauve, I made a whole turkey breast over the weekend. I let it soak in the brine over night. It's like night and day the difference of brining or not. The meat is so much moister. It practically melts in your mouth.
    I have watched a Chef on PBS, Simply Ming. He uses a brine that he calls sweet salt water.
    He adds sugar to the brine too. I am wondering, taken that idea s step farther. Why not use a juice for the liquid in a brine, Like apple juice or cider? I would think that very good for pork. And when your done brining, pour the brine into a freezer container and use it again in the future.

Mauve Guest

Ironic Chef. Sounds like a good idea. Makes sense
    that the meat would be more moist. I ran across an
    apple brine recipe. I usually put a peach glaze on my pork
    roast. The brining and the peach glaze should make for an
    exceptional roast. I must try it. Thanks for all
    your helpful hints.

Cook Chatty Cathy is offline Master Chef

Hi Mauve,

I always "Brine" our chops but we use Lemon juice and water. Never left it 2 days though, I will have to give it a go and see what happens. And we always "Brines" our meats in a mixture of lemon juice and water, makes for some outstanding tasting chicken! Our "brining" is usually for a period of 8 hrs. tops, I will try a longer time and see if there is any difference!

Thanks, Cathy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12