May 29  # 1 of 26
Hey everyone,

I recently watched an episode of Americas Test Kitchen, they were discussing a beef vegetable soup. I am making a beef stew tomorrow and have placed my beef (uncooked) in a soy sauce to marinade overnight. Has anyone ever tried this? according to Americas Test Kitchen this will flavor and tenderize the beef for the stew.
May 29  # 2 of 26
Hi Champ,

I have never heard of soaking it all night long, but if you like the flavor
of soy a whole lot then give it a try!

I have a really great beef stew recipe I got out of a Southern Living magazine and OH MY GOODNESS WAS IT RICH AND DELICIOUS!!! I will pull it up and copy it as a post here for you if you would like to give it a try!

Hope you will give it a try and then let me know what you think! The meat is so tender it melts in your mouth like butter and the gravy is so tasteful I almost could not quit eating it >>>>was still licking the spoon after I used it to put the left overs up:o By the way the gravy was so rich that I skipped the last step of thickening it!
May 29  # 3 of 26
Red Wine Beef Stew

1 pkg beef stew meat
4 tbsp. flour
1 3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. veg. oil
1 cup dry red wine
2 14 1/2 oz cans beef broth
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 turnip root
1 8 oz pkg. mushrooms
1 pkg baby carrots

Use a heavy bottomed Dutch Oven to cook the stew in, start by
dredging the stew meat in flour miixed with the salt, paprika, and pepper then brown the meat in veg. oil in small batches until well browned. As each batch gets done set meat aside. When done browning beef add the wine, broth, thyme, and bay leaf to the Dutch Oven and stir well while bringing to a boil lower heat add beef to pot and simmer on low heat for 1 hour after an hour add carrots, peeled and cubed turnip roots, and mushrooms. Cook for another hour to hour 1/2, remove bay leaf and serve.

Can be served over a bed of rice or mashed potatoes I think it would even be wonderful in a french or sour dough bread bowl!

May 29  # 4 of 26
Champ. I marinate with Soy Sauce all the time and it really does increase the beefy flavor. I would also suggest adding a teaspoon or so of conrstarch to the marinade. It helps to tenderize the meet.
May 30  # 5 of 26
Thanks, I will try that recipe next time. Well, I am 5 hours into the beef stew. I am cooking it in a dutch oven in the stove at 300 degrees. so far it looks and smells good. I tried a little and am not satisfied with the tenderness yet. I am going to cook it a little longer and see what happens.