Aug 9  # 1 of 4
English Muffins are "baked" on a cast iron griddle.

Ingredients:
  • one envelope of yeast
  • one quarter cup lukewarm water
  • one cup scalded milk
  • two tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • three tablespoons butter
  • four cups flour
  • cornmeal

Scald 1 cup milk and mix in 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons butter. Let the milk cool. Meanwhile, soften one envelope of yeast in one quarter cup lukewarm water mixed with with 1/2 tsp sugar. When milk is cool, add the softened yeast and 2 cups flour and beat thoroughly. Add 2 more cups flour or enough to make a moderately soft dough.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny. Place the dough in a buttered bowl, butter the top suface lightly cover and let rise any warm place until doubled in bulk (for about 1 1/2 hours). Punch down the dough let rest and rise for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle white cornmeal on a board and roll the muffin dough out 1/4" thick. Cut dough into 3 inch rounds; sprinkle top with white cornmeal. Cover and let them rise for about 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake the English Muffins on the ungreased griddle. Have a griddle hot at first and then reduce the heat to the muffins will cook slowly. Bake the Engilish Muffins for about seven minutes on each side.
Aug 9  # 2 of 4
I love English muffins
and bagels, and certain breads - I just cannot live without them - I am such a carb-hound! LOL
Aug 9  # 3 of 4
You can probably make a more carb friendly by substituting one half to one half cups of whole wheat flour for the plain white flour.
Mar 5  # 4 of 4
Quote Mama Mangia wrote:
I love English muffins
and bagels, and certain breads - I just cannot live without them - I am such a carb-hound! LOL

Me too.....why the Atkins diet would never, ever be an option for me.