Aug 24  # 1 of 4
I have always been intrigued by sourdough. I love the taste, but want to know more about how to make it and keep the starter. It all sounds so difficult to me. Is it really that fidgetty?
Aug 24  # 2 of 4
try this:

"Foolproof" Sourdough Starter

1 cup Yogurt
1 cup Milk; skim, or regular
1 cup Flour

Combine the milk and yogurt together in a glass, pottery or plastic container. (NOT metal) Keep a lid on it, but don?t seal it. (sealed starters have been known to explode!) Put this where the temperature will be 80-90F for about 24 hours. Then add the flour and put it back in the warm place for 3-5 days. Stir it daily. It will bubble and have the odor of fermentation. Its ready to use.

A starter is a live thing and must be fed. When you use it you should replace what you used. The amount you should replace will vary according to need. If you use your starter often or you know you are going to have a heavy demand soon, then you can put several cups of milk and flour (equal measures) in it. Generally though you should put in either 1/2 C to 1 C of both flour and milk. I prefer to use buttermilk, as it gives the starter a much stronger sour taste. If you are not going to use the starter for awhile, place it in the refrigerator. It needs to be fed once a week...just a few spoons flour or milk. If you forget and leave it in there for a long time without food, don?t just throw it out. Try first to bring it back by adding 1/2c of flour and milk and leave out for a day or so. It is remarkable how these things come back.

1 tb Dry yeast
1 1/2 c Warm water
1 c Sourdough starter
1 tb Sugar
1/2 tb Salt
2 tb Cider vinegar
5 1/2 c White flour
1/2 ts Baking soda
Yellow cornmeal

In large warmed bowl, sprinkle yeast over water, stir to dissolve and let stand until bubbly. Blend in starter, sugar, salt and vinegar. Gradually beat in 3 cups of the flour. Beat at least 3 mins.

Turn batter into a large oiled glass or ceramic bowl, cover with towel and let rise in warm place 1 hr or until double in bulk.

Combine 1 c of the remaining flour with baking soda. Stir batter down and add flour-baking soda mixture. Gradually add remaining flour to make a stiff dough.

Turn out onto floured board and knead, adding additional flour only as needed to prevent sticking, approx 300 strokes of folding and turnin or until dough is smooth and elastic.

Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal. Form dough into 2 oblong loaves and place on sheet. Cover with towel and let rise in warm place 1 to 1-1/2 hr or until not quite double in size.

With sharp razor, slash the tops of loaves diagonally. Mist with water and bake in 450 oven 10 mins. Reduce heat to 400 and bake 35 mins longer or until bread tests done.

For a harder crust, place a pan of hot water on bottom of oven and mist with water several times during baking. Remove pan of water after
15 mins of baking.

Turn out onto wire rack and cool.

NOTE: If you like your sourdough very dark, remove the baked bread from the pan or sheet and place under broiler about 2 mins, or until rich brown in color.
Aug 26  # 3 of 4
Thank you. I thought it was more difficult than that.
Apr 22  # 4 of 4
I have got to try this.
I love sourdough bread.