Feb 25  # 1 of 20
I was wondering if any of you have or have heard of the covered baking dish that is desigend to bake crusty french bread that's crispy outside and a moist chewy inside. They are made of clay and run about $50.00. I just don't want to invest only to find out they aren't necessary.

Thanks, Cathy
Feb 25  # 2 of 20
Well - I make crusty Italian bread - and I spritz the loaves with water (light spray) after the first 5 minutes of baking and again after the first 10 minutes of baking. Crusty on the outside - soft on the inside.

And my little spritz bottle only cost me 59 cents.

And I have spritzed my French bread as well.

Works for me.
Feb 25  # 3 of 20
Mama, you're spritzing the actual loaves, rather than the sides and bottom of the oven?

And, have you tried the trick about adding ice-cubes to a pan when you put the dough in? I haven't tried it, yet, but it's said to 1. add more moisture than spraying (almost the equal of steam injection, I'm told), and, 2. be safer.
Feb 25  # 4 of 20
If it is a moisture issue could we not simply place a little pan of water in bottom shelf of the stove?

I do like the idea of not spending $50.00 unnecessarily, I guess I just get caught up in these Baker's catalogue's and think "How nifty I WANT THAT"! And I am getting a little older and wiser and realizing I don't need every "Gimmick" out there. But when I had my pizza stone I LOVED it! And I was thinking maybe this clay gadget to bake bread in might be really terrific! But it sound like a wate of money, if all I have to do is spritz a little!:)

Thanks ALL, Cathy
Feb 25  # 5 of 20
I spritz the loaf of bread - not the oven - not the door - the bread. No pan of water beneath it. Been done like that for generations in my family - why stop now. No way would I add ice cubes to the pan for MY bread!