What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fried Dough

The Ironic Chef

Fried Dough

I was searching through the Bread Threads and was very surprised not to see any fried dough recipes. Wow!!!!
Fried dough is a big hit around these parts. It is very popular at Carnivals, Fairs and fun raisers and is very easy to make.

Ingredients
Dough for 1 loaf of bread
Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar

Directions

This is my home version.
After the dough has risen I like to flatten it out on a lightly floured flat surface. Flatten to about a 1/2". With a pizza cutter, cut out rectangles roughly 2"x6". On the top center of the long side put a slice leaving about 1" on either end.

In a deep skillet bring about 1 1/2" of vegetable oil or shortening up to a medium high heat. Gently lay 2 pieces of the dough into the oil. After one side gets to a nice golden brown, carefully flip and brown the other side.
Remove from the oil and place on a paper toweled plate while frying the rest of the dough. After all the dough has been fried, Sprinkle the tops with confectioners sugar and enjoy a very simple treat. Personally, I like them right after the sugar goes on and they are still warm. Enjoy.
IC

fry bread is very popular with the Native population here. Street fairs, benefits etc. always have Indian tacos, bread is formed a bit flatter and all the taco goodies go on.

Last edited:
We made homemade bread everyday when I was a kid - mom would always cut some off and fry it up - sprinkle with sugar - best fried dough ever! and we still do it today.

Jon loves plain pizza dough fried up and dusted with powdered sugar.

Last edited:
Back