Oct 13  # 1 of 11
Who has a recipe for Croutons? Made from bread. I think all you need to do is cut bread into cubes, spray with a flavored pan spray or something and season with Italian seasoning or whatever and bake.
Oct 13  # 2 of 11
I never thought of making them. I'd be interested in this too :)
Oct 13  # 3 of 11
to quote in fond memory of a deer fellow: "Thud!"

the basics are very simple:
cube some sturdy white bread - Wonderbread need not apply.
dry until crisp at low (oven) temp
can be browned.

the seasoning is a critical but largely a method independent issue.

butter salt pepper flavorings
heck, even brush/toss with bottled Italian salad dressing.
spicy, mild, savory, bland, what suits your purpose and intent.

there is no "one" recipe
there is no "best crouton ever"
Oct 13  # 4 of 11
My reason is simply to be able to have croutons in my salad. With my low sodium restrictions of 1500 a day I'm not going to blow a good portion on some stall bread in a salad. I even make my own ketsup. Thanks for the recipe Dilbert. Could I ask how long you can store this after making it? BTW it will be made from homemade french bread that has less then 45 mg for two loafs instead of the usual 130 to 150 mg a slice for bought bread. Plus I can flavor it up however I like. Thanks again - John
Oct 13  # 5 of 11
>>storage -

two factors to consider:

(1) bread goes stale. as long as you can keep it air-tight & in low humidity it'll last 7-10 days - especially if browned/toasted. consider making a batch & freezing it.

(2) and 'zactly what is it coated/seasoned with...?
butter/oil/fats go rancid, they do better refrigerated but toasted bread in the fridge = rubber Rubic cubes.

for small qtys at odd times I'd dry a batch of bread cubes, freeze. take out what you want, allow to thaw, season to taste - a boon for sodium restricted diets - then toast in the oven to 'finish' the crouton for taste&texture. the thaw is important - toasting frozen cubes will likely generate little mush cubies....