Nov 13  # 1 of 13
Anyone have a raisin bread recipe that I can make without a bread machine?
Nov 13  # 2 of 13
Oh yeah, I'd be interested in that myself :)
Nov 13  # 3 of 13
1½ cups milk, heated
1 cup warm water
1 stick margarine or butter
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar (white)
1 cup raisins
3 eggs
2 packages dry yeast
8 cups flour
2 Tablespoons milk
¾ cup sugar (white)
2 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoons melted butter

Heat the milk until it’s very warm to the touch, but not boiling. Melt the butter in the milk. Pour into the bowl of your mixer. Add the warm water, salt, sugar and raisins. Let cool down for a bit, until it’s just tepid.

Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Temper with a little of the milk/water mixture. Then beat the eggs into the mixture. Add about 2 cups of the flour to the mixture, and stir well. Add the yeast and 2 more cups of the flour. Beat well, for several minutes to form your sponge. Add the rest of the flour gradually. Knead for 8 minutes. Put in a well-buttered bowl or rising bucket. Let rise until double in bulk.

Punch down, and separate into 3 equal pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll or flatten to about ¼ inch thick.

Combine the ¾ cup sugar with the ground cinnamon. Brush a little milk on your piece of dough, and spread part of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top. Roll up jellyroll style. (Only working from short end to short end, not long side to long side). Tuck the sides under, and place in buttered bread pans. Lightly grease the tops of the bread with the melted butter. Let rise again.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes, or until the bread is browned, and when you tap on the bottom, the bread sounds hollow. Remove from pans, and brush with butter, and let cool on racks. Let cool COMPLETELY before slicing. Makes 3 loaves.
Nov 14  # 4 of 13
Wanna DELICIOUS new grilled cheese sammie idea? Butter a pair of raisin-bread slices and place in a heated skillet. Arrange shaved smoked ham and sliced cheddar inbetween and voila! try it- you won't be sorry! :)
Nov 16  # 5 of 13
Thanks Mama! Looking for something good to make for Thanksgiving breakfast!