Dec 16  # 1 of 7
Anyone have a recipe for old fashioned Southern cornbread dressing? I'm planning a big dinner tonight and I'd love to compare my family's old recipe.:)
Dec 17  # 2 of 7
My cornbread dressing is NEVER as good as my mom's was. She always added eggs and giblets along w/ plenty of chicken broth and sage which not all folks add today...
Dec 17  # 3 of 7
When I make a 9x13 pan of cornbread dressing I start out by using a loaf of roasted garlic french bread cubes I make and f a 8x8 pan of cornbread. I soften one large yellow onion minced with 3 cloves of garlic in a pan with olive oil and a couple pats of butter. I add in 3-4 stalks of fine chopped celery and cook til it is all soft. I put my bread cubes in the biggest bowl I have and add in two well beaten eggs, one pack lipton onion soup mix, 2 TB dried sage, 2TB poultry seasoning, 2 TB dried Thyme, 1 TB dried rosemary, salt and pepper. I toss it all together then I moisten with about a quart of so of homemade chicken broth. I pat mine down into a 9x13 pan and drizzle the top with extra virgin olive oil to get it nice and crispy on top. My father in law and brother in law are two of the pickiest people in the world when it comes to dressing and they both love this. My husband really likes it too. You can cut back on the spices if they are to much for you. We like our food well seasoned here. I bake mine at 375 for about 45 minutes or so.
Dec 17  # 4 of 7
Wow great recipe Janie!!! I have never made a decent one yet!!!
Dec 17  # 5 of 7
Thanks Cathy. Jon's Dad liked it so well that he asked me to make the dressing this year. That has always been the one dish he insisted on making. I have to get to SAMS before Christmas and stock up on onions and garlic.