Sep 1  # 1 of 8
Marie's Flour Tortillas

3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup water

In bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening
with fingers or fork. Now slowly add water to form a dough.
When you can form a ball in your hand it is ready.You may not need all the water, if fact you probably won't. Pinch off about 1" ball, roll into a circle and cook on hot grill, or iron skillet until brown, flip and do other side.
Sep 6  # 2 of 8
Hi!!
I have made tortillas many times. I tried making this recipe and I normally use organic shortening sticks I find next to the butter. I would have used maybe 1/3 c shortening and a little more salt and baking powder. Also the water was wayyyyy too much! I used about 1/2 cup. Maybe a little more.
Sep 6  # 3 of 8
We used to make tortillas often, but don't have to any more. For the last several years we have had a tortilla factory right here in town. Kind of a mom and pop operation. But super products. Made fresh every day.CF:)
Sep 6  # 4 of 8
I know the water is way too much for someone who measures their flour correctly..but so many don't. I don't make tortillas often, and we use very little salt in our cooking. Perhaps, all my recipes are now altered for very little salt, I don't recall right now.
I do use the aluminum free baking powder, don't know if that makes a difference or not. Thanks for the replies. What are the recipes you use to make tortillas?
Sep 6  # 5 of 8
This is the recipe we use. CF:)
Tortillas
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup lard
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water