1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbls. grated lemon zest
2 tbls. butter, chilled
1 C lemon-lime soda

Topping:

1 tbls. butter, melted

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

For the dough, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix well Stir in the lemon zest. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Stir in the lemon-lime soda. Stir until just mixed and the dough forms a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead until the dough is smooth, 10 to 12 times. Shape the dough into a ball. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten the dough ball to a 7" round. Cut a 1/4" deep X in the top of the dough round with a sharp knife.

Bake in the lower half of oven until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.

For the topping, brush the top of the loaf with the butter. Cool for 30 minutes before slicing to serve. This bread is simply scrumptous! Even in today's heat and humidity, it was a pure pleasure to heat up my kitchen baking this loaf. Yummy. Enjoy! :)
Jul 2  # 2 of 3
Katie, that sounds interesting. I am not much on soda bread. Mine always is very dense. I lean more to yeast type bread. I did save the recipe. I may give it a go. CF:)
Jul 18  # 3 of 3
I think I can try this one at home, as it's easy to make and sounds exciting also.