Nov 2  # 1 of 1
I have never made a sourdough starter. Although we have eaten a ton of the bread. Any way wanting to bake my own. This is the recipe i used, please look it over. Is it Ok or not, got a better recipe? Please post it for me. CF:)

Herman Sourdough Starter 1
[h=3]Ingredients[/h]
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar, divided
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 2 cups milk, divided
[h=3]Directions[/h]1. In a large glass or plastic container, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Stir in the flour and sugar, mix until smooth. (DO NOT USE A METAL SPOON)! Cover loosely and store in a warm place overnight.
2. The next day, stir and refrigerate.
3. Stir once each day for the next four days. On the fifth day, stir, then divide in half. Give half away with feeding instructions.
4. Feed starter with 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk. Stir until smooth. Cover and place in refrigerator. Stir once each day for next four days.
5. On the tenth day feed again with 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk. Return to refrigerator and stir once each day for the next four days.
6. On the fifteenth day it is ready to be used for baking. Reserve one cup of the starter in the refrigerator and continue to follow the stir and feed cycle (Stir once a day for four days, stir and feed on the fifth day, ready for use on the tenth day.)