What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boiled Eggs and Dippies

Katiecooks

Now this is comfort food on an English/Irish scale from my grandmother's beloved old recipe book...................

Ingredients:

2 large, fresh eggs
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
a few pats of butter
1 slice fresh white bread

Directions:

Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and gently slide in the eggs. Bring the water back to the boil and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes, according to your taste. A four minute egg will still be quite soft, while a five minute egg will almost set the white while the yolk will still be runny and a six minute boil will produce an egg with a soft yolk and a solid white. Good to know!

Meanwhile, toast the bread, cut off crusts and spread with butter. Then cut the bread into fingers. As soon as the eggs are cooked, pop them into egg cups, put dippies on the side and serve them with sea salt and a pepper mill and a few pats of butter. This is so good it ought to be illegal!! A couple of slices of cooked bacon on the side makes this a meal to die for! :D:D

Just in case anyone feels they've been cheated by this non-recipe recipe, here's the one I actually intended to post:

Irishman's Omelet

Ingredients:

4 oz. bacon
1 C chopped onion
2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced
1 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. chopped fresh chives
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbls. butter
2 large eggs, beaten

Directions:

Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry up until crisp. Remove from pan. Sweat the onion for a few minutes in the bacon grease, add the diced potato, bacon and freshly chopped herbs and seasonings to the pan. Stir in the well-beaten eggs and cook over a gentle heat until the eggs are set. Flip over onto a hot plate and serve immediately. You can also sprinkle top of omelet with grated cheddar if desired. This is wonderful and makes getting up in the morning well worth the effort! Serve with lots of hot coffee with Bailey's Irish Cream in it :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, CF - It was hard to find you in amongst all the garbage which piled onto the egg recipes, but finally I did and I hope you enjoy the eggs I'm not allowed to eat very often. I especially enjoy boiled eggs and dippies - what a wonderful way to start a day!! Takes me back to my childhood! :)

Both of recipes are so delicious, and i love to eat in Irishman's omelet as a breakfast daily.keep sharing such a nice recipes with us.

Back