What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Authentic English Trifle

W

Worker Bee

My Mom used to make this a lot when I was growing up. It always looked so impressive in the trifle bowl. I just bought one recently and think I'll prepare it soon. Will use some of the kiwi I have that are so plentiful now. Slices of those will look pretty.

First, make a soft, rich custard: beat 4 egg yolks until light and pale yellow. Heat 2 cups light cream with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon orange flower water or vanilla. add beaten egg yolks,while beating very hard. Then cook without boiling, stirring continuously until custard coats the spoon. Remove to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Cut a two-layer sponge cake (that you bake or buy) into finger-length pieces. Spread each one on one side with raspberry jam and quickly dip in 1/2 cup sherry. Place half these sponge fingers in the bottom of a deep cut-glass bowl. Cover with half the custard. Whip 2 cups cream. sweeten with 1/2 cup icing sugar and vanilla to taste. Cover custard with half the whipped cream. Make a second layer on top of all this. Top with a dozen or so toasted almonds, standing them upright in the cream, add a few slivers of angelica - or use small roses instead of almonds and angelica. Refrigerate at least 12 hours. This beautiful dessert never fails to create a sensation, yet is easy to prepare.

-from The Best of Mme Jehane Benoit

Back