1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter (or margarine), softened
2/3 cup granulated (white) sugar
2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional, but really good!)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix with crumbs; set aside.
in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating just to blend. Stir in the walnuts (if using).
Spread into prepared baking pan and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool a bit before cutting into servings.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

3/4 c. butter
1/4 c. Crisco shortening
3/4 c. scalded milk
1 c. sugar
1 egg white
1 t. vanilla

Scald milk and sugar and let cool. Beat egg white til stiff and gradually add the cooled milk mixture. In another bowl, cream butter and Crisco til very creamy. Gradually add egg white mixture. Add vanilla, fold together and chill in refrigerator (15-30 minutes).
(covers a 9x13 inch sheet cake or fills and frosts a two layer cake)
Jun 30  # 2 of 6
Wow I bet this is one good cake, after you make it let us know how it is!
Jun 30  # 3 of 6
I made two them last week it was a great cake .... I purchased more buttermilk today plan to make one to take to work ... :-)
Jun 30  # 4 of 6
THANKS i AM GOING TO TRY THIS RIGHT AWAY, I LOVE GRAHAM CRACKERS AND I'LL BET YA' I WILL LOVE THIS CAKE TOO!

THANK YOU FOR SHARING! CATHY
Jun 30  # 5 of 6
Depending on the kind of graham cracker you use it does change the flavor .. I liked the cinamon low fat ones the best in the cake ... This cake has the texture of a carrot cake ...It is very yummie ...