1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped walnuts

For the icing:
10 oz. cream cheese -- softened
8 tbsp. powdered sugar
dried fruit

Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour a 10" tube pan. Grate 2 tbsp zest from oranges. Squeeze oranges to make 1 cup juice. Set aside.

In medium saucepan, combine dried fruits and 2/3 cup orange juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well, set aside.

In large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then add orange zest and vanilla, beat well. Alternately add combined dry ingredients and buttermilk to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in walnuts and fruit.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in a 325F oven about 1 hr. 15 min. or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centercomes out clean. Cool in pan 10 min. Remove to wire rack, cool completely.

For icing, beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add 1/3 cup orange juice, beat will. Spread icing on cake, garnish with dried fruit.

Cake can be made 5 days ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 min. before serving. To freeze, wrap tightly in freezer wrap, heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic freezer-safe bags. Freeze up to 2 months. Bring to room temperature 45 min. before serving
Nov 16  # 2 of 4
Wow- now this sounds like a yummy, different take on the traditional holiday fruitcake, MsMai. Yummy!
Nov 16  # 3 of 4
Hope you can use the recipe, Chubbs. A friend shared it with me, someone who does not like the citrus, etc. in the traditional fruitcake. I thought perhaps someone here would like to try it also.
Nov 17  # 4 of 4
MsMai I am most def. going to make this one, I like it because you can eat it in 5 days and don't have to drench it in liquor! It sounds wonderful!

Just For The Record: I am one of those people that absolutely adore FRUIT CAKE, I love it and crave it at this time of the year!!!! I always get a little sad when I hear people "raggin'" on it and making fun of it. I wish all the people in the world that hate getting a fruit cake would send them to me NO KIDDING!!!! I love it that much!