Dec 6  # 1 of 22
Should all cheesecakes be made in a water bath? Some recipes call for it and some dont. Wouldnt they all be better in a waterbath?
Dec 6  # 2 of 22
Waterbath is ac tually your choice. Supposedly the tops don't crack. I don't do the waterbath - and IF my top cracks slightly you still can't see it with the topping on it. The tiny cracks that appear around the edges when removed from the oven usually seal up anyway.

Also - depending on the filling ingredients - some cheesecakes are heavier and denser than others.
Dec 6  # 3 of 22
Thanks Mama. I appreciate your reply.
Dec 6  # 4 of 22
my cheese cake is the basic New York Style with my tweaks, I start with 2 1/2# cream cheese, 1 # ricotta, couple handfulls sugar, taste, and, 8 eggs, one at a time , vanilla and maybe a flavor of the day?
I use a shortbread crust, no need for water bath, may get a few cracks, but since I serve slices, o.k.
If I use a new to me recipe that calls for a water bath I will do that first time. always try to do a new recipe as written, especially if I know the source.
Happy Holidays,
Nan
Dec 6  # 5 of 22
Ya' all are talking' my language now CHEESECAKE Oh my goodness I love the stuff!!! I think the little cracks are harmless and add to the authenticity of cheesecake, a pan of how water on the shelf beneath the cake as it bakes is OK and will not hurt, I just prefer cooking mine without the additional moisture in the oven and my cheesecake comes out too perfect, too good to quit with one piece... and I eat the whole thing up & before I know it it's gone and no one else gets to eat a bite:D When family members come around asking about that cheese cake I made I just sit there looking dumbfounded and say "What Cheesecake?":confused::o:D