Feb 26  # 1 of 14
They had shrimp powder at the Mexican cooking store I was at the other day. What would you use that for?
Feb 26  # 2 of 14
I'm thinking it could be used to turn a Bloody Mary into a Bloody Shrimp Cocktail.

I know that a lot of oriental recipes use a lot of dried shell fish for recipes. I guess it's a good source for a fish stock.
Feb 26  # 3 of 14
Maybe our new member from the Phillipines [Kitchen Pixie] could help us out here???
Feb 26  # 4 of 14
Our friend Noi probably uses it. They are Thai but I wouldnt be able to understand her if I asked lol. She has a thick accent.
Feb 27  # 5 of 14
I didn't know they also use it in Mexico but a little search shows that it's used for shrimp patties. I found some interesting links but I couldn't post them yet (my post count is still low). I've sent you a PM then maybe you can post it later.

In Asia, it's use to add flavor, especially when cooking noodles. The shrimp powder is mixed with the sauted veggies or broth.

Locally, we buy them dried (small shrimps) called hibe (hee-beh). You can rehydrate them, pound or powder them. I also add these to rice soups (congee, arros caldo). Use in moderation since they give off a very distinct taste when used so much. Dried shrimps has certain smell that's not every Westerner may find appealing. Some commercial shrimp powder have MSG, which I try to avoid using.

What we love to have as seasoning too is shrimp paste. This can be home made or store bought. This is definitely a must try for the courageous food taster when in Asia.